12 Lessons To Learn From Demi's New Documentary

Demi Lovato is known through her role in Disney in movies and shows such as, Camp Rock and Sonny With A Chance. However, one of her most important roles is being an advocate for both mental health and addiction awareness.

She struggles with an eating disorder, addiction to drugs and bipolar disorder. In 2018, she went through an overdose that caused her to lose part of her vision to where she can no longer drive. However, she is still making music and telling her story to the public.

1. Addiction is a disease 

Addiction can be looked at as something demeaning, but really, it is a disease just like anything else such as cancer or the flu.

2. Mental Health Awareness is vital

It is important for mental health to continue to be less stigmatized so that people can feel like they can discuss their mental health as well as seek help without feeling embarassed.

3. You can only help someone as much as they want to help themselves.

If someone is not ready to be sober, they may not be ready to accept help.

4. A support system can make all the difference

If it wasn't for her assistant, she wouldn't be alive right now. Her former assistant Jordan was the one that found her when she overdosed.

5. Those struggling can often be hiding their struggles

Demi did a good job at hiding her addiction from others through the years.

6. Genetics & Environment both play a role in mental health

Her father and mother both struggle with mental health issues, such as her father having bipolar disorder and her mother having an eating disorder.

7. Disney is not the happy channel it claims to be

Most Disney Channel former child stars relate to the fact that Disney has a certain amount of moral pressure where one cannot be themselves.

8. The truth is the only way out

It is important in healing to be honest with yourself as well as with others.

9. Once someone relapses, it often is relapsing into worse habits

They made it a point in the documentary that she did not go back to her old drugs of choice when she relapsed but to harder drugs.

10. Fame is not everything it looks like

The pressure to be famous and be OK for her fans is often too much for stars, especially child stars.

11. It is important to ask for help.

If you or someone you love struggles with addiction, the hotline is 1-800-662-4357. The hotline is open 24/7, 365 days a year.

12. One can find healing in music.

After knowing more of her story, her songs and lyrics make much more sense and can be felt that much harder.