​3 Tips to Make This Semester Less Stressful

I hope these 3 tips will help you overcome or avoid the stress this semester brings.

14
Power of Positivity

Being a student can be stressful enough on its on, but adding work, family, and other obligations into the mix can easily cause you to feel overwhelmed. This semester, take the time to learn different ways to deal with the stress that comes from your daily activities. I’ve included below three ways that have helped me deal with stress, and I hope they will help you too.

1.) Keep up with due dates!

There are various ways for you to keep up with assignments and test dates, whether it is a planner, a notebook, or a phone app. I’ve tried all three ways and realized that a mixture of all three is what works best for me.

If you have an iPhone, you can use the 'Reminders' app that’s already installed on your phone. If you have an Android, I recommend downloading the 'Google Keep' app. Both applications allow you to make different lists, so you can separate your due dates by class, by deadline, or any other way, depending on what works best for you. I have three different lists: homework, homework tonight, and weekend homework. I use 'Homework' as a general list for upcoming assignments, and as each deadline approaches, I move the assignments to the other categories. These apps also allow you to set alarms to remind you of assignments, tests, or study sessions, which I find very useful.

In the front of each of my binders, I keep a small notepad. On this notepad, I write any homework assignments or class announcement that the teacher mentions during class. Once all of my classes for that day are over, I tear it off and put it in the daily section of my planner. I use a mini binder as my planner, and I have it divided into 4 sections: daily, weekly, monthly, and blank paper for things such as article ideas, grocery list, things that I need to do, and other random thoughts or ideas. I use the daily section to write out my daily schedule, the weekly section to write the topics and assignments for the current week, and the monthly for test dates and project due dates.

No matter which option you choose, having something that keeps all of your assignments together will allow you to make the most of your study time!

2.) Get a good night's rest!

I know sometimes we stay up late studying or completing assignments, but staying up all night isn’t benefiting our health or our studies. Some of you might be thinking that you are too stressed with schoolwork and other things to sleep, but “a good night's sleep makes you able to tackle the day's stress more easily.” We should start the day by waking up after a good night’s sleep, and by doing this, we will be more prepared to deal with what each day brings.

3.) Take time for yourself!

With all your classes, homework, and extracurricular activities, it's important that you remember to take care of yourself. Don't become overwhelmed and remember to take breaks from school work. Find a hobby or an activity that relaxes you, whether it be drinking herbal tea, getting coffee with friends, or playing video games. Herbal teas have many health benefits, including helping you feel less stressed.

"A single cup of tea can significantly reduce anxiety levels after suffering a stressful experience – and in some cases, make people calmer than they were before.” I hadn’t tried herbal teas until this past summer because I felt like it was just a trend and it wouldn’t actually help anything, but I realized that drinking tea actually made me feel better and more relaxed. Late night study sessions are inevitable, but remember to take care of your health!