Left Behind In Appalachia

Left Behind In Appalachia

All that was left were the bright stars for the people of Appalachia to stare at, hoping once again, their story might get told.

86
Left Behind In Appalachia
Tuna Ogler (Pixabay)

Sidenote: This is a fictional short story mixed with facts that are based on people who live in the Appalachians in the United States.

Journalist: Hi everyone, I am here in the Appalachians interviewing Trump voters to see if people regret their vote. I doubt they do, but let’s get to it. Now, I have with me a Mrs. Pamela Jones, who owns a little shop here and has a husband who works for a coal company. Now, Mrs. Jones, do you regret your decision about voting for Donald Trump? Why?

Pam Jones: No I do not regret one bit about voting for Donald Trump because he said that “we’re going to put our miners back to work” [b], and he has so far. We’ve struggled with the Obama Administration, but now things seem like they are picking up here [h].

Journalist: Well, what about all of the racist and sexist things he’s said? Especially with you being a woman, I think you would at least take offense to him grabbing women by the behind?

Pam Jones: I know that he is not a perfect man, but at least he told us that he would bring us work again. Look at Hillary Clinton. She told us that she was going to put us and the coal mines out of our jobs, which would destroy the little industry we have here. They even interviewed a man on the Today show I think, where he broke down on TV while asking Clinton about her intention to shut us all down [a]. We here make a living off of coal, and to shut them down will shut us down.

Journalist (laughs): First off, coal is detrimental to the environment. And second, didn’t you know that we are moving on from coal? In fact, for the first time ever, natural gas provided more electricity than coal in the US. While gas provided 34% of electricity in 2016, coal only provided 30% [c]. It’s obvious that we are moving into a world where we will not be using coal anymore. Also, being in those coal mines are terrible for the people working in them. Everyone has seen October Sky. Haven’t you seen that it is dangerous for people to be in those mines? These mines collapse, and the people who have worked in them develop Black lung [i]. You know, the disease caused by inhaling too much coal from working in the mines for 20+ years? Also, if the conditions are so bad in Appalachia, then why don’t you move?

Pam Jones: Well that certainly is a loaded question. Pauses. But I’ll answer them for you, just to clear things up.

To answer your first question, yes, I do know that coal harms the environment. But have you done your research? Have you ever heard of The RECLAIM Act, which makes specified funds from the Department of the Interior available to states and tribes to help us improve our communities? How might you think? Well, we would reclaim abandoned coal mines and turn them into economic opportunities, such as restoring the land and the water that has been damaged due to the mines themselves [f]. Did you also know that pretty much 90% of the Appalachians, who are both Democrat and Republican support this bill [e]? Therefore yes, I do know that coal harms the environment and the miners too. You know, my father suffered from black lung, and you know what, he died from lung cancer because of it. And it worries me every day that when my husband goes into that mine, he might not come out!

Journalist: Ma’am, I’m sorry if I offended you…

Pam Jones: I’m not finished yet. To answer your question on why we don’t move, we can’t. We are not able to physically take ourselves and our stuff and leave these mountains because we can’t afford too! When you don’t have money, you can’t pick up and go. Did you know that 30% of Kentucky is below the poverty line, I don’t think so [d]. Also, let me remind you that in 1980, there were about 250,000 miners working in the US, but now, in 2017, there are only 50,000 left [h]. Where do you think we are supposed to go if we don’t have money? These politicians we elect, they always forget about us, the “little people” that got them there in Washington in the first place! At least with Trump, he said he would bring back the coal industry to what it was before, and we are doing a little better. I can sure say we have been better off than when Obama is in office. And don’t call me racist for saying that, because I can’t even think about race when my children are starving, when we can’t afford to eat! We voted for Trump because we had hope in him, not because of his offensive remarks. You can’t feed “offensive” to your kids! We are in desperate need of help, and we will do whatever we have to do to...

Journalist (smiling fakely): Thank you, Mrs. Pamela Jones, for sharing your opinion. I guess we can take it that you don’t have any regret about voting for Trump. Turns to the camera crew. I believe we should go.

Pam Jones: Wait, but I have more to say!

Journalist: Thank you! Walks out of the door.

The journalist, still in shock about what just happened called their supervisor, not knowing what to do. “Yes, there was a problem… she got angry all of the sudden… no, she does not regret voting for Trump… Don’t worry, I’ll make sure the interview will never be shown… I’ll still get paid though right?” the journalist then hung up. Shortly after, their car drove up the rocky driveway, and after getting in, left in a rush, disappearing into the dark and tall mountains, leaving only the bright stars for the residents of Appalachia to stare at, hoping once again, that their story might be told.

Sources/Bibliogrpahy:

[a]=America Rising ICYMI (Youtube clip of Today Show newsclip) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjjCIWHG9ZI

[b] Politifact http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/trumpometer/promise/1432/save-coal-industry/

AJ+ Youtube clips

[c] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VBYsEGpLDI

[d] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJxCqHoUAT8

[e] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYEEBpHJMAQ

[f] Library of Congress https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/1731

[g] The Guardian Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqceHviNBC4

[h] Circa News Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OGOr_Qh1uo