You should watch "Leaving Neverland"

Everyone Should Watch 'Leaving Neverland'

This is an important film in the Me Too era.

96

When I first read about "Leaving Neverland" coming out, I was very hesitant to watch it and quite honestly it was because I didn't want to believe what the two men were saying about the deceased iconic pop star.

For those of you who don't know, the documentary "Leaving Neverland" sheds light on two men's stories who were just young boys when they were sexually assaulted by Michael Jackson.

I decided to watch the film though because if their stories are true then I thought it was ignorant to just ignore what they were saying because I liked Michael Jackson's music.

Upon watching it, I have no doubt that the men were telling the truth about what happened with Jackson. The evidence was simply too much to deny.

The fact that I initially didn't want to watch the documentary though, shows what an issue that narrow minded thinking can have around subjects like this.

Just because I like Jackson's music should not have meant that I should just not believe his accusers because everyone deserves to be heard about their sexual abuse.

I think that everyone should give the documentary a chance, as I did, because it is an important film.

It shows in the Me Too era just how people with power and influence can manipulate people.

It shows how you can love someone and still be sexually abused by them.

And most importantly it shows that no matter what the age, sexual abuse can impact you.

These lessons are vital to today's generation, where superstars have an almost god like status, even in light of the Me Too movement.

This is an important documentary for survivors of sexual assault because it shows how important it can be to tell people about it because holding it in can be even more harmful to you.

Was Michael talented? Yes.

That doesn't mean that you should overlook this film and be completely biased and say that you refuse to believe these men.

So go watch "Leaving Neverland" and whether or not you believe the men in the documentary is up to you, but no matter what you shouldn't belittle them for coming out with this story because it is brave of them to share it.