18 Things That Should Be Left In 2018

18 Things We Can All Agree Should Be Left In 2018

Some things are just better left in the past.

66

As many reflect on what the 2018 has had to offer, we are all reminded of some of the sweetest (and cringiest) moments of the past 12 months. While we carry growth and knowledge from this year with us into 2019, there are a few things we should simply let die when the ball drops at midnight.

1. The pointless battle between Laurel and Yanny

This year's version of the dress caused a division among the best of us. Friendships were tested, relationships were broken, and the fools who think they heard "Laurel" are still living among us.

2. Season 22 of "The Bachelor" (really just Arie)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYvOjG8j2M0

The Laurel vs. Yanny crisis may have resulted in conflict, but most can agree Arie is the actual worst after breaking off his engagement with cameras present. "Bachelor" fans across the nation rallied together in support of Becca K. as we all did our part in trash-talking Arie on Twitter. Hopefully, the season 23 finale in 2019 will leave us able to look at the bachelor without feeling the need to punch a wall.

3. Taylor Swift's awkward dancing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCXGJQYZ9JA

As a die-hard Taylor Swift fan, I was far too excited when the "Delicate" music video was released. I expected a fun storyline to match the song; however, I was met with dance moves matching that of an injured pigeon try to hobble along. We love you, Taylor, but you may consider adopting a new move or two in the upcoming year.

4. The straw crisis

assets.rbl.ms

Remember when someone whispered straws killed turtles and paper straws suddenly appeared out of thin air? Dark times. I would actually rather spill my entire iced coffee on my new top than partially eat a soggy paper straw. Although, I have to admit I always enjoy specially asking for a straw at Starbucks and then watching the barista look both ways before sliding one over the counter to me like the villain in a "Mission: Impossible" movie.

5. "Let's get this bread"

I have no idea where this saying came from, and I have no desire to find out. I love bread as much as the next person, but to get it every single morning is a bit excessive. Also, every time someone says it, all I can think about is Oprah's Weight Watchers commercial. I wonder if she has to "get this bread" every morning as well.

6. Every teenage guy's obsession with Fortnite

i.imgflip.com

Fortnite. Is. Not. Cool. I had no idea why this game took off over the past year, then I actually watched someone play it and the female avatar explained it all. Weird flex, but okay.

7. Flossing or, as the OG fans call it, The Backpack Kid Dance

I first learned to floss in 2017 (the dance, that is,) but I still think it would be best to officially end this craze in 2018. As funny as it is to watch everyone learn this move, looking at you Ted Danson, I am absolutely tired of being whacked at sporting events while the kid next to me is doing the move to get on the jumbo screen.

8. Making dumb decisions with the Tide Pod Challenge

Who looked at a Tide Pod and thought it would be a good idea to eat one and video the entire experience?! It is a sad day when I cannot buy Tide Pods from the grocery store because they are locked up for all costumers under 21. Your girl needs to do laundry, and the not-even-funny 16-year-old YouTubers are not helping me out.

9. The naïve belief Ariana Grande and Pete Davidson were actually going to get married

Isntagram

When I found out these two were dating, I thought it was a joke. Pete Davidson's sense of humor is not that complex, so it seemed to be on his level. And once the two began referencing each other in their work, seen in Davidson's appearance on SNL's Weekend Update and Grande's song "Pete Davidson," I assumed a break was soon to follow. Do what you have to do to reach a larger audience; welcome to Hollywood.

10. People who vape in your face while you're walking to class

Vaping has been on the rise for years, but 2018 reached an all-time high for its popularity. As one of the few college students tired of this trend, I am here to beg everyone with a juul to keep thEIR NICOTINE-FILLED, COTTON-CANDY-SCENTED VAPE OUT OF MY FACE WHILE I AM MINDING MY OWN BUSINESS. If you feel the need to have an addiction, even if it looks cool when you do it, please keep it away from me.

11. Every single scene from "The Kissing Booth"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD0P8XQSkIA

I know. I know. This was one of the hit summer rom-coms. I'm sorry, but it is just so cringey. Even the love interest of the movie made me want to gift him a book on how to act like a normal human being when in normal human situations. Also, can we quit throwing Molly Ringwald in teen movies? She is a person. Quit using her to try to get the parents of today to watch cheesy movies meant for the average high school sophomore.

12. The kid who just really wanted a good selfie

assets.rbl.ms

This kid ended up on one of the most-watched events in the history of national television, but that is nothing to him as long as he has the perfect selfie with Justin Timberlake. He has no idea who Justin Timberlake is, but once again, at least he has a killer selfie with the guy.

13. Yodeling in Wal-Mart

When I first saw a video of a boy yodeling in the middle of Wal-Mart, I wasn't that surprised. You have to admit, weirder things have happened there. However, I was surprised when this same kid came out with a single and eventually went on tour. Contrary to the thoughts of my 13-year-old sister and all her friends, "Famous" is not a "bop" and would do well to stick around in 2018 with the others on this list.

14. Asking your mom how long it takes to cook a turkey in the microwave

This past Thanksgiving, every college girl died with laughter when their moms texted them against putting a turkey in the microwave. My own mother responded to my text with a simple "That's illegal!" and spoke of it no more. I don't really know why we all found this trend so funny, but I guess it was nicer than the #ThanksgivingClapback trend from the year before.

15. The creepiest mascot in all of history

Meet Gritty, the Philadelphia Flyers' new mascot for this season. He is a cross between Animal from "The Muppets" and that thing that used to chase you with a chainsaw in your childhood nightmares. I'm not saying the person who thought this would be a good idea for a mascot is delusional, but I'm not saying he isn't either.

16. Breaking laws with The "In My Feelings" Challenge

I actually love watching these videos of teenagers hopping out of moving vehicles and doing a phenomenal job dancing while keeping up with the car they escaped from, but it is still illegal, and the song isn't even that great, so I think we may want to just forget this trend ever happened.

17. The guy who came up with "IHOB"

https://people.com/food/ihop-name-change-ihob-twitter-reactions/

I was among the many outraged when IHOP scared us with this attempt at promoting their burgers. We all panicked, thinking it meant the end of pancakes and bacon and waffles and more. 2018 was a stressful year as it was, and IHOP, you did not help out.

18. All the crazy American romantics who woke up at 4 a.m. to watch the royal wedding

An American walking down the aisle to marry a handsome prince and become a princess herself? You bet I got up in the middle of the night to watch this live. I must admit, though, this craze was a bit much. To this day, I still feel the shame of watching the ceremony at 4 a.m. just to discover the entire day would be replayed on every single news program for the next 2 weeks.

2018 was one for the books. If we are lucky, these items will stay in the books, never to return again. Here's to a new year with new trends we will loathe just as much as the ones before.