Leave Chip And Joanna Gaines Alone

Leave Chip And Joanna Gaines Alone

Let them renovate in peace.

22
Leave Chip And Joanna Gaines Alone
Google Images

Yesterday, I logged into Facebook to see that Chip and Joanna Gaines were trending. The popular HGTV hosts, whose hit show is called Fixer Upper, made headlines for doing...absolutely nothing. It turns out that the pastor at the church they attend preaches against same-sex marriage, and therefore the internet attacked the renovating couple, demanding to know if they share the same beliefs as their pastor.

This stirred up a lot in me. First off, I’m religious. Born and raised a Methodist, I am proud of the relationship I have with God. Second, I’m an LGBTQ rights activist, and I wholeheartedly believe in marriage equality, adoption for same sex couples, and the right to use whichever bathroom you please. Believe it or not, you can have a relationship with God without tromping on the rights of others, but that’s another article. Lastly, I am a self-confessed HGTV addict, and I watch Fixer Upper all the time. So I immediately was invested in this story, but not in any of the ways people might think. I think everyone needs to leave Chip and Joanna Gaines alone.

Neither have made a comment on the subject yet, and I don’t think that they need to. Just because their pastor believes that homosexuality is a sin doesn’t mean that Chip and Joanna do. It also means that even if they DO agree with their pastor, it’s none of our business. Their beliefs have nothing to do with their show, which I still plan on watching regardless. It is not our place to tell them what they should or shouldn’t believe, and it’s also not our place to judge a completely non-religious show on someone’s religious beliefs.

Bottom line, we need to respect everyone’s opinion whether we agree with them or not. ESPECIALLY if no opinion has even been made in the first place. Chip and Joanna are an adorable couple, with precious kids and a great show. There’s no need to lash out at them from either side of the argument for something someone else said. Leave them alone, respect their beliefs, and respect their privacy. I plan on watching their show no matter their beliefs.