Learning to Enjoy Your Own Company

Learning to Enjoy Your Own Company

You spend every second of every day with yourself -- why not learn to enjoy it?

42
Learning to Enjoy Your Own Company

One of the most important skills you can develop as a young adult -- or at any age really -- is to learn to enjoy your own company. Especially during turbulent and confusing times when you begin to question your own identity and values, spending time in solitude is essential to start learning about yourself. Being alone does not have to be lonely; in fact, it can be extremely pleasant and peaceful.

Time spent alone is actually an opportunity to start listening to your inner voice. During all of the chaos of work life and social scenes, it is easy to become detached from your own sense of self. It is easy to ignore how you are feeling in order to be more productive or catch up on deadlines. However, continually disregarding your own emotions can cause long-term psychological and even physiological damage. Being out of touch with yourself often results in stress and confusion, causing reckless behavior that can cause further feelings of anxiety.

Thus, it is important to occasionally pause other aspects of your life to make time for yourself: doing what you enjoy and allowing your thoughts to flow freely. Alone time enables you to focus on understanding your own emotional state and heal from within, allowing you to find a sense of peace in your independence. Fortunately, this does not have to be just idle time dissecting your own mind; you can pick up a new hobby or learn a new skill. Working on developing new skills can be an independent activity that also allows you to gain a sense of pride in your own unique accomplishments, however small.

Learning to enjoy your own company is not just luxurious solo spa nights with scented candles and face masks. It is learning to be okay with not having plans. It is turning down an invitation when you know you are exhausted. It is burnt dishes, tangled thread, scraps on the knees, and wrong notes -- it is a process of overcoming failures in the learning process. But, most importantly, it is quieted thoughts and self care.