Learning To Accept Your Self-Worth

Learning To Accept Your Self-Worth

10 ways to help rebuild your confidence.

5
Learning To Accept Your Self-Worth
Brie Betlejewski

Sometimes, being a 20-year-old in college can feel like the end of the world. Actually, being any age during any time can feel like the end of the world. As much as I struggle with self-confidence, however, I do try to push the deteriorating thoughts away with self-actualizing ideas. Although it may take a lot of time and effort to put yourself first, just remember that this is your one life—so take control of it! Below is a list of 10 rebuilding concepts to help you learn to appreciate yourself.

1. Delete the toxic people from your life.

If you are not getting the love you deserve from those around you, surround yourself with positive people who help influence the best in you.

2. Realize that you are not the enemy.

No matter what the problem is, do not turn on yourself. You are not, and will never be the enemy; please understand that.

3. Turn the negative thoughts about yourself into positive ones.

Although this point may be one of the toughest on the list, turn at least one of the unlimited number of negative thoughts into a positive thought each day. Having confidence in yourself is not wrong!

4. If you're not satisfied with your body image, change it.

Only take this into account if they way you're changing your body is in a healthy manner!

5. Smile every day without faking it.

As easy as it is to fake a smile, try to find natural reasons throughout your day to be happy. Smiling releases positive endorphins in the brain, which automatically picks up your mood!

6. Become confident with your decisions, thoughts and actions.

Do not constantly criticize and self-evaluate your decisions! It's all right to have a different opinion than the rest of society—so stand behind your words and go through with your actions.

7. Don’t let anyone persuade your opinions on yourself or your ideas.

Although it seems so simple to let others influence our self-opinions, we should not judge ourselves on how the outside world perceives us to be. Don't let others' thoughts change your self-worth!

8. Find out who you are and who you want to be.

Whether you are going through a rough time or are happily satisfied, take a step back and understand who you are. If you have goals, strive to become the best you can be and push forward to become who you want to be.

9. Understand that you will never be someone's idea of "perfect," but you are perfect for you.

No one in this world is perfect, so don't try to be. You are perfect being you, and that's all that matters.

10. Love yourself.

As I continue to struggle with No. 10, I know this is the most important on the list—I need to learn to love myself. I need to accept my flaws, my quirks, my struggles, and my gains, just as you should, too. Loving ourselves will bring so much confidence and joy into this world, and that's a world we deserve to live in.