4 Things I Learned In Southern Africa

4 Things I Learned In Southern Africa

Three credits for my minor changed my heart.

10
4 Things I Learned In Southern Africa
Samantha Dykes

Since I was ten years old, I knew I was called to be a missionary. I took every chance I got to be a part of a mission or service trip. From laying a gym floor at a school in Arizona to moving two tons of medicine into a warehouse in Haiti. I was there. Each of these trips I'm overwhelmed by how my relationship with Christ grows. At the end of each trip, I was reassured of my call but never knew where that would lead me. Little did I know, I would learn more about Jesus, myself and my calling in a travel course through my college.

1. He moves in our hearts, even unprepared hearts.

After a year of spiritual stagnation, I did very little to prepare my heart for my trip to South Africa, Mozambique, and Swaziland. I packed my bags and did the required reading but did little else. I didn't think I needed to. This trip was to visit different types of mission installments in southern Africa, not a service trip. But the Lord had plans I did not yet realize. From the first flight, from Boston to London, to the out-of-body experience of jet lag to the time I got back, my heart was challenged. On one of our overnight flights, I sat restlessly, yearning for sleep. I felt a nudge at my heart — am I yearning His presence as much as I want to sleep right now? Bam, I was not ready for that gut-wrenching feeling you get when you let someone down. It didn't feel good to realize that I was neglecting my relationship with Jesus but through that discomfort, I grew. My days in Africa were jam-packed full of growth I was not prepared for.

2. His love is overwhelming.

Every trip I had ever gone on, I was working and I was loving on people. I spent many hours loving through VBSs, sorting clothes, feeding people, etc. My time in Southern Africa was different. I was loved on, ongoing undeserved love. On the day I put my feet in the Indian Ocean, we were scheduled to visit a church. As we drove down an unfamiliar road, we missed our turn, distracted by children playing in the schoolyard. When they noticed us, they surrounded our van with childish grins and funny poses for pictures. My heart smiled as we made a u-turn. As we pulled up to the church, we were greeted. Many Mozambican mamas and church elders sang Shangaan hymns as we climbed out of the van. Our Mozambican friend that journeyed with us translated the songs for us. One of them was a song of praising Jesus for the day they had long awaited had come. They were praising because a van full of college students had come to hear of their church. Overwhelmed by the undeserved love here I began to weep. Pictured above is one of the elders leading us to the church singing. Nothing prepared me for the love that was coming. After we had completed our lecture on the history of their church, they told us they had made a meal. Delicious smells poured from the church as they lovingly washed the dust from our hands. Once inside, we found a room decorated for a wedding. Flower petals sprinkled on the floor, decorations on the chairs. Love so undeserved, so overwhelming. That love that moves me to tears is a mere fraction of the love the Lord feels for each one of us.

3. Family is not bound by blood or geography, but by love.

Every place we went was family. There was this mama, who we will call Mama U, that welcomed us into her home. She fed us, told us funny stories about our professor and sang with us. At the end of the night in her loved filled home she and wrapped us in capulanas and said, "Now you are a real Mozambican." That feeling of home shocked me when I was eating with people who didn't understand English and I knew no Portuguese. We loved each other, and our love was far louder than our communication barriers. They let us know we were always welcome back. On our last night in Mozambique, we ate with all of our friends, laughing, telling stories, and giving gifts. Mama U's brand new grandbabies were there and they were beautiful. I watched in awe of their sweet faces. My friend, seeing my face, asked Mama U if I could hold them. Mama responded, "Of course, she's no stranger of the street, she is family." With my heart bursting, I held my new Mozambican family. The brothers and sisters I have in Mozambique are bound to my heart by love, not DNA or geography, love made possible in Christ.

3. His Provision knows no bounds.

My whole life I have worried my needs were too much for God to handle. God used Mercy Air to teach me there is no limit to His provision. Despite never having much money, Mercy Air has been able to provide aid to many as well as purchase new air crafts and keep up with maintenance. The Lord's provision has overcome each of their obstacles, million dollar obstacles, and I have doubted his ability to address my needs. One specific example of his provision is seen in the trees seen in the picture above. In the land surrounding the runway, Mercy Air has planted a crop of nut-producing trees for additional income. This tree is supposed to take a few years to produce a quality crop. But in these trees to young to be producing quality has already recouped the cost of planting the trees. This trip taught me if I'm leaning in close to Jesus and trusting Him his provision and peace will extend beyond all of my trials. The Lord has provided in seemingly impossible circumstances countless times.

4. I am called.

When people find out I am called to missions the first question is, "Where?" I never knew the answer and often wondered why some people have always known where. But in May, as I walked through a school and orphanage in Swaziland, I felt a nudge. I wept. We often pray to have our heart broken for what breaks His. But as I stood in that orphanage there was no broken heart. All I could feel was the peace, joy, hope and love of Jesus. In those tearful moments I was reassured in my call and for the first time, I saw a glimpse into where I am called. A class for my minor sent me across the world to learn. But instead of merely learning my heart was changed, my dreams blossomed, and my heart for Christ grew. I can not wait to see the next chapter unfold. "Wa hamba nathi, Siyabonga Jesu" (He goes with us, thank you Lord).