7 Things I've Learned Being A Writer For The Odyssey

It's a lot scarier than you think!

9

I've been a writer for the Odyssey since July 2015 (a year and a half..!). My time with the Odyssey has been amazing, and I don't think I'll stop writing anytime soon, but I wanted to take this time to talk about some of the things I've learned as a writer for this online platform. I've learned so much about myself, social media, and the community I'm writing to. Although every writer's experience is probably very different, maybe this will ring true with other writers, or inspire you to become a writer yourself.

1. Most people don't read things you post on Facebook the first time.

I've shared an article multiple times and sometimes, the first time it will get a lot of likes, but then other times I'll post an article later and it will get much better reception.

2. People appreciate honest sentiments.

Even if you write a piece about an idea that some disagree with, people like to engage and hear real opinions about important topics rather than the usual articles that involve lists and gifs.

3. Social media, especially Facebook, is the new platform for discussion of important topics among young people.

Especially with this latest election, I learned that young people are much more likely to engage in important political discussion through social media. The Odyssey has done a great job (in my opinion) of fostering great discussion, and as a site for college students, it is drawing in a population that has a history of not engaging in politics.

4. People won't always like what you have to say.

Even when I think an article I'm writing is very impartial, I've found that someone will always have a problem with it. Whether they say it to my face or comment on the article, you learn that not everyone will agree with you, even when you think you're being fair.

5. There's always something to talk about.

A lot of times when I'm busy, I'll convince myself that there is no other topic out there that I can write about. Then, I'll be inspired by a friend or a news article to write something else. There are so many things to discuss, and it is our job to keep talking about them!

6. A lot of people are thinking the same thing as you but are too afraid to say it.

A lot of people will share the same opinion as you do in your articles, but it's not until you share an article and various people comment or like your article that you realize that many others agree with you!

7. People will judge you for other Odyssey content.

A lot of people stereotype the Odyssey for being a website run solely by sorority girls or people who aren't very good at writing. The Rice team, in my opinion, puts out great content, and I have a huge respect for anyone who puts themselves out there enough to write an article once a week and share it with all their Facebook friends. It takes guts!

Being an Odyssey writer is really fun and fulfilling. I recommend it to everyone who likes writing even a little bit. It's a great way to share your thoughts and communicate with people in your community.