7 Things I Learned When I Came Home From College That 1st Time

I learned that change is both good and bad.

15
Tech In Asia

With Christmas break just around the corner, I began to reflect on what it felt like coming home for Christmas last year. I was very excited to come home for many reasons, but I did not really know what to expect.

I decided to compile a list of things I learned when I came home from college for the first time:

1. It will feel like your home, but not quite.

I guess I thought it would just feel like no time had passed. But I was wrong. You see, life went on after I left. Birthdays happened. Cookouts and family get-togethers happened. It all happened without me. When you move away for college, your home is still your home, but college is also your home too, but neither feel quite like home. When you come home you live out of a suitcase, and it sort of feels like you are a visitor. College also doesn't feel like home because while all you may not have to live out of a suitcase, you do have to shower with flip-flops on and that definitely doesn't feel like home. It's a little hard to grasp at first, but I think it is part of becoming an adult.

2. You won't be as close with some of your friends like you used to.

This happens all throughout life, but it's more frequent at my age. When you graduate high school, everyone's goes to follow different paths and its hard not to lose some friends along the way. While some friendships are made to be lifelong, others aren't. I had lost contact with some friends, and it was hard for me when they never contacted me while I was home. It was also hard to hangout with friends, and listen to their stories and know I wasn't there for any of it.

3. You are probably going to still have rules like you did in high school.

For three months, I was used to doing whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted (responsibly of course). But, when I went home I was reminded of household rules. I had to remember to tell my parents where I was going, and I needed to ask permission. It was weird going from being an adult basically on my own, to a kid again. But in all honesty, it was kind of nice too.

4. You will appreciate home cooked meals, and not having to do your laundry so much more.

When I lived at home I always wanted to go out to dinner, and laundry was something I took for granted. However, once I was responsible for my own laundry and ate meals consisting of cafeteria food, I began to appreciate the things my mom did for me a lot more.

5. Your bed will be so much comfier than you remembered.

Yes, it's true. After months of sleeping on the thinnest mattress the college could find, I had dreamt of the moment I would get to sleep in my own bed again. However, sleeping in it was even better than I had remembered. There is just something very special about your very own bed.

6. Your family probably missed you more than you realized.

Coming home after being gone awhile makes it so much more exciting when you get to see everyone again. They're excited, your excited, and its a great feeling. The best part about Christmas break is its the perfect amount of time before the honeymoon period wares off. The whole time is exciting!

7. You will miss college.

Yes, you will miss college. You might not think that you will, but you will be ready to go back. While being home is great, college is where most of your friends are now. Your college friends become like your family away from home, and you will miss being around them every day. You will also miss having everything so near by. Your best friend, boyfriend, food places, and etc are all within walking distance. You will also, believe it or not, miss classes. It is nice having a routine schedule, and while having a break from classwork is much needed, you will be ready to get back on track by the end.

Coming home from college that first time, or anytime really, takes some adjusting. Everything won't just go back to how it was before you left, and while no one likes change, some of the changes are actually pretty nice.