What I Learned From My High School Marching Band

The band camp Jokes NEVER end

2590
Danvers Band

Urban dictionary defines Marching Band as " a cult of the top students in the school, playing as one, moving as one, becoming one," and that is the most accurate description of band that I have ever read. We all spent way too much time together, there was always at least two of us giving commencement speeches at graduation, and we accidentally walked in step even when we weren't on the field. That being said, Marching Band was a pretty big part of my life in High School, even if it wasn't always my favorite thing. I've been doing a lot of reflecting on my years in band recently, and I realized that it had a massive impact on the person I am today. So here's just a few things that I learned from being in High School Marching Band.

1. Resilience

Band Camp is FREAKING HARD. We are subjected to hours of physical activity in the searing heat, with limited water breaks, all while remaining in perfect posture. I was in the clarinet section, so I had it easiest when it came to weight and positioning of the instrument, but not everyone was that lucky. My best friend played the sousaphone, which for those of you who don't know, is the giant tuba that wraps around your upper body. To this day, she has back and shoulder problems. But despite all of the hardships, there is nothing like the feeling you get when you leave your last day of band camp. You can't help but be proud of yourself, you accomplished so much in that week that not everyone can do. There is always that group of newbies who drop out within the first few days because it was too much for them, but you never did that, you were strong.

No matter the "stigma" surrounding Marching Band, it's a sport, and anyone who denies it should spend a single day in band camp and see how easy it is. We have to stand and march in a very specific way, while moving in an articulately mapped out pattern, completely in step, in a perfect line, all while playing difficult music that we had to memorize. Not only does it require physical stamina, it requires a lot of thought and concentration. As a result of this, I am a much stronger person than I was before. I realized that now, I can survive almost anything, because I survived FOUR band camps. FOUR.

2. Communication and collaboration

Marching Band is a collaborative art, and everyone depends on one another to make the best show possible. So it is incredibly important to communicate with your fellow band members, particularly the members of your individual section. Every single person has their place in the creation of a field show or parade, and it won't run the same way if even a single person is out of place. This can be really stressful, especially if you're just starting out, but that's what your peers and student leaders are for. We had all at one point been in the position where we were unsure in our abilities, but we worked with our fellow band-mates, and got better. Marching Band is a really positive atmosphere, and everyone works together to make the show work.

This emphasis on communication and collaboration has definitely extended to my every day life. Prior to being in Marching Band, I had always been really bad at communicating with my peers, and I was completely overwhelmed when first starting out. But then I realized that everyone around me was incredibly supportive and just wanted to see me succeed so we could create something extraordinary. I began to open up, and do my part in this massive collaborative effort. Now, even after I am done with Marching Band, I understand the importance of collaboration and working together. When working in groups, I always do my part, and hold others accountable for the work they should be doing as well. I also have become the type of person who will jump to help out a fellow peer at every opportunity because I know that not everything can be done alone.

3. Leadership

During my senior year of High School, I served as one of the two clarinet section leaders. Basically, what that means is that I was responsible for making sure the clarinet section was on task, knew the music and fieldwork, and was constantly in the know. It was a lot of hard work and required a ton of responsibility. I was in charge of an entire group of people, and if anything went wrong, my fellow section leader and I were to blame, and there was a lot of potential for things to go wrong. However, my co-section leader and I worked together extremely well, and were able to control a fairly large section pretty well. Of course things did go wrong at times, but that inspired us to do better. We dedicated our time to making sure the section was at it's best and that we created a positive atmosphere. This experience taught us a crucial lesson about the importance of leadership, and what it is like to have people relying on you. These are values and experiences that I will hold with me forever.

4. Commitment

Marching Band isn't something that you can half-ass, you have to put in all of your effort a hundred percent of the time, and not everyone is able to do that, so they quit. Staying with Marching Band for all four years of my High School education was one of the best and most rewarding decisions I've ever made. I have had so many incredible, once-in-a-lifetime experiences during my time in band that I am extremely thankful for. I never would have had these experiences or life lessons if I hadn't picked myself up after every fall. This taught me that committing yourself to something, no matter how difficult it can be, or how hard it is to get through at times, it is almost always rewarding in the end.

5. Friendship

This is a photograph of me and two of my closest friends during a band trip to California. Marching Band made our friendship stronger than ever. We all knew what it was like to suffer through band camp, and the amazing feeling of pride you get after a practice, field show, or parade. Through being in Marching Band, you also make a ton of new friends every year. There is something about being around a group of people nearly every day that brings you together. The friends I made in Marching Band are some of my best friends to this day, and I wouldn't want it any other way. It astounds me to think about where I would be if I hadn't been in Marching Band. I probably wouldn't be friends with a lot of the same people I am today. Band friends are some of the strongest friends you will ever have, because you have struggled together, and know the strength and stamina it takes to create something as marvelous as a field show.

6. Hard Work Pays Off

We already know that Marching Band is a TON of hard work, but it's hard work that always pays off in the end. Many of my greatest memories are from band, and the several once in a lifetime opportunities it provided me with. Because of Marching Band, I got to march in Disney World on New Year's Eve, the Macy's Holiday Parade at Universal Studios, and my favorite, the New York City St. Patrick's Day Parade. The pride felt during and after these parades was astronomical. It was astonishing to me that I had made it there, that I was lucky enough to have been given these incredible opportunities. There is so much extra work put in before a trip, and it was often difficult to deal with, but all of the hard work we endured was worth it when we go there. Not everyone in the world is fortunate to even be in school, never mind to go on a trip with their Marching Band. So I was incredibly humbled by the experiences I was fortunate enough to have had, and I am forever thankful for every one of them.

7. The Power of Music

Marching Band also taught me about the power of music. Although I was not yet in my High School Marching Band when they traveled to Oahu to honor the 70th anniversary of the attacks on Pearl Harbor, my older brother was, so I was able to accompany them. I will never forget their moving performance in front of the USS Missouri at Pearl Harbor. It was one of the most incredible phenomena that I have ever witnessed. I stood and watched on the ship itself, along with the rest of the band families, and there wasn't a single dry eye to be seen anywhere. Everyone was so overcome with emotion that they could hardly contain themselves, all because of the music they were playing. Music is something that can be so powerful and meaningful to people, even if they don't quite understand why. There is a unique quality to music that makes it something so commanding and prominent in our society. It creates the mood of any situation and has the power to change the world. Music is something that I will always hold dear to my heart, and forever understand it's importance.

8. Community

Throughout my four years in Marching Band, a community was formed among my fellow band-mates and I. We had gone through so much together, and made so many memories that will last a lifetime. By the end of my time in band, I felt like I was a part of a family, not a school extracurricular. I would look around the stands and see brothers, sisters, cousins, and the occasional weird uncle. But no matter what, I knew that I loved this group people, and knew that I would miss them when we all moved on to bigger and better things. But High School Marching Band isn't meant to last forever, and I wouldn't want it to. I am happy with the times I had, and wouldn't want to change a thing. The community we built was something extraordinary, and a force to be reckoned with. Now, even though Marching Band is in the past, I have taken my experiences within this community of people to build a new community of my own.