A Late Night Review Of The Second Season Of 'Daredevil'

Seriously, I wrote this super late.

16
hollywoodreporter.com

Well, I needed something to do over spring break that wasn't my homework, so I searched long and hard for something, anything to fill my time. Then, like a revelation that came from the back of my mind, I remembered something: season two of the smash hit series "Daredevil" just came out on Netflix. Having absolutely nothing to do, other than my responsibilities, I decided to jump right to it and binge-watch the entire season so I could write a review for you all, my devoted readers. I have to say, I really love all five of you.

So, for some recap: at the end of season one of "Daredevil," Matt Murdoch (The Devil) defeated Wilson Fisk, the man who would become the Kingpin, sending him to a maximum security prison. Also, Matt's best friend, Foggy, learned of his secret identity, which will come back in this season to bite him in the ass. Crap, was I supposed to write SPOILER WARNING in big bold letters just like this for you guys? Oh well, tough luck. You had a whole year to watch the first season. Wow, maybe this is why I only have five readers.

Summary

Without giving away too much info, season two begins with the Devil of Hell's Kitchen doing what he does best: jumping from rooftops, beating bad guys to a bloody pulp with his bare hands and looking like a total badass in his supremely well-designed suit.

Seriously, just look at this thing. I'd chop off my left nut to own that suit.

Matt, while doing his best to control the spreading criminal violence in NYC, is faced with brand new enemies, old allies and a deepening plot, which only gets more twisted and dark as the season goes on. By the end of this season, everything we know about the characters we grew attached to has changed; Nelson and Murdoch's firm has fallen apart, Karen Paige has found herself both in love and hating Matt and things have changed for the worse for our characters, whether they realize it or not.

Here are the things I liked.

1. Cinematography to die for

Everything about the lighting, color choices and camera angles sets the tone for this show. I never in my wildest dreams would have thought that the use of yellow lighting could make a show look so gritty and dark -- yet somehow "Daredevil" maintains it, which I applaud. This show also makes heavy use of continuous, sweeping camera shots, especially during fight scenes. This was an effect that I didn't see in many shows before watching "Daredevil," yet noticed significantly more after. The choice of continuous shots make every fight seem more engaging and real, and does great work to properly pace each battle.

2. Strong character development

All of our main characters, Matt, Karen and Foggy, have grown as people. They have become much more 3-D and fleshed out, bringing their own individual strengths and weaknesses to the table. The struggle Matt faces with balancing his secret and true identity feels real; we see a man having extreme trouble keeping his lawyer life and hero life separate, often having to choose the one he feels more heavily obligated to follow, which only creates ripples in his personal life with Foggy and new love interest Karen.

Karen herself becomes more of an important character this season, bringing real strengths to the team, beyond being just a pretty face. Foggy also begins to show off his prowess as a smart-talking, sharp-tongued lawyer, cementing his place as a strong lead with a lot to offer, even if he looks goofy. Even our villains this season show a great deal of emotional development. Which brings me to my next point.

3. The Punisher we all really needed

Frank Castle, aka Punisher, is one of my all time favorite Marvel characters; a man whose family was wiped out before his eyes, driven to purge the world of the same criminal filth that left him to suffer and die alone. However, every single Punisher film we've been given in the past turned the character into a simplistic meat head who just likes to kill.

In this season, the Punisher presents a very real threat for Matt, one who isn't afraid to do the things Daredevil won't. Besides being a formidable foe, Frank also gives us something new: actual human emotions. We don't just see a psycho who likes to kill -- we see a man who has lost it all, a man who is so deeply scarred that he truly believes he can save others from the scum of Hell's Kitchen (something he feels he couldn't do for his own family). The moment his alias was uttered in the show, I felt every hair on my body stand up to give Jon Bernthal the respect he deserves for bringing a ruined character back from the grave.

And now here are the things I didn't like.

1. Not enough Kingpin

Don't get me wrong, this isn't a major concern of mine, but I just wanted to see a bit more of him in this season. We first see Wilson Fisk halfway through this season, locked up in jail and steadily making his way to becoming the, well, Kingpin of the prison. While he may show up late to the party, he still maintains an important role in the show. Even though I would definitely like to have seen more of him, I'm happy with the direction the show is taking. The creators are giving more time for Fisk to develop into the hardened, sharply-dressed crime lord we know from the comics. And by doing this, the creators also give more time to show off some other interesting villains from the comics that deserve some TLC.

2. Um...

Wait, I can't think of another complaint this season. To be honest, there weren't any real mistakes this season -- no really glaring plot holes that made the show unenjoyable even for a second. Damn, I have to think of something. Oh wait, I've got it.

3. This goof

Just look at how goofy he looks. What a goof.

Just kidding, Foggy, you're perfect. Don't ever change bud.

My Rating: 10/10

Conclusion

I found myself unable to stop watching this season, which is always a good thing. The show definitely didn't stagnate or waver in strength, instead gaining momentum and pushing forward with a strongly-written plot and an ironclad performance from all of the members of the cast and crew. I can earnestly say that I'm pissed off that I have to wait another year for season three.