A Letter to Myself as I Begin My Last Semester

Follow your passions and dreams, never give up.

21

After diligently working to get to this point for the past few years, I am relieved to know that I will be graduating this December with my bachelor's degree. As happy as I am to finish this chapter of my life and move on to the next, there is no doubt that I will miss my days as an undergrad so it is crucial that I make this final semester count because I will never be an undergrad again.

Always remember that you put so much effort into reaching this point of your college career. You began school with the goal to graduate a year early and you achieved that by graduating a year and a half early. Even if you had to take six classes each semester in the past, you know it was all worth it and balancing school, clubs, family, and friends really was not as hard as they all said it would be.

You can relax this semester. It's ok if you don't get a 4.0, or even a 3.9, or 3.8 for that matter. Of course, you have no doubt that your grades will be high enough to get into law school but you don't have to worry about staying up past midnight editing a paper because, at the end of the day, there really will not be much difference between an A- and A. I'm certainly not telling you to slack off and wait last minute to do everything either but space your work out carefully so that you never feel like you are under pressure.

But, that doesn't mean that you can slack off either. Part of the reason why you were so quick to graduate is because you have big plans for the future. Law school isn't going to be handed to you for free so you need to stop pushing the LSAT aside and study so that you can get one step closer to earning a full ride. I'm not saying that you should stress yourself over it (yet), but you need to get on the law school application process if that's what you really want to do.

Make the most of your campus while you're on it. Of course, there're times when being a commuter sucks and life gets you in the way of staying at school, but don't be so quick to leave as soon as class is over. With your Monday/Wednesday schedule, you're thrilled that you don't have to make the 25 minute trip up to campus each day but that doesn't mean that you can't come up for an additional day every once in a while. Stick around to attend that extra event after class. Join a volleyball game in the quad. Crash at a friend's suite. You can have the best of both worlds as a commuter.

Take care of yourself. Don't get into the habit of only working out once in a blue moon. There's also no need for you to go to the gym each day. Make sure you stay healthy, exercise often, eat better, and get enough sleep. But don't spend the whole morning sleeping like you did in the past because time is tight and you don't want to waste it.

Don't push aside the friends you have back home once the semester start. You may all be busy with different schedules but that doesn't mean you can't still talk regularly and get together when you have the chance. These are your most convenient friends who you've had for years and will always support you whether they are minutes or miles away.

Spend time with your family, talk to them, always keep them in mind. They are so proud of you and want you to be happy with whatever you do. They also want you to grow up and work for what you want in life. Remember that you will feel far better about your success if you can say that it was all of your doing.

Pray each day. Thank God for everything you have and realize that you have it better than many other people. God has a plan for you and soon, you'll discover what it is. Pray for clarity and strength. Pray for those who you lost, as they will be guiding you and watching you from above this entire way.

Be happy, stay optimistic. Confidence is key. You have every right to be proud of yourself and everything you have done. Don't let anyone put you down and don't put down others. Stay stubborn, but be understanding. Follow your passions and dreams, never give up. You know what you want when you want it. Now go get it.