Last-Minute College To-Do List

Last-Minute College To-Do List

A list of things for incoming college students to complete before classes start.

90
Last-Minute College To-Do List
visitaberdeensd.com

Are you, or someone you love moving to college in the coming weeks? Are you completely at a loss of what to do? Not to worry, I have my top 10 list of last-minute college to-dos for you. These are things to help students prepare, and some duties to complete before arriving on campus to get a head start. Hopefully you have some tasks in the back of your head or, if not, here are some to get you started!

1. Create a packing list

One of the biggest fears of moving to college is forgetting something important at home. Creating a packing list of everything you need and want can help prevent you from missing even the smallest items. Brainstorm a list, or find a generic packing list from your school, or on the Internet. It wouldn't be fun to show up to school without essentials like bedding, personal care items or enough clothes!

2. Look for a job if you are planning on working

The federal work study program is a great way to get a job at your school. Most positions are on campus, and very flexible in working with your schedule. Even if you don't have work study but are planning on finding a job in the area, it is a good idea to start looking now. Once all the students are on campus, it will be a frenzy to try and find a job. Beat the rush and find the right job for you!

3. Make sure you have all of your important documents you may need

It is important to carry any important documents you may need, or at least have them with you in college. Your mom isn't going to be there to keep track of them for you. These documents may include a birth certificate, driver's license/ID, insurance card and Social Security card. Especially if you are going to college far from home, it is a good idea to have these documents with you.

4. Put away some money for emergencies

Unforeseen circumstances pop up at the blink of an eye sometimes. Often, these circumstances are costly. One way to be more prepared for emergencies is to have an emergency fund set aside. A rule of thumb to follow is having three months worth of your usual expenses in savings to avoid being blindsided by complications. Being a broke college student is bad enough, being a broke college student with no back-up money would be even worse!

5. Create a rough idea of what you want your room to look like

One of the best parts of college in my opinion is being able to create your own space. Granted, white cement walls and stationary furniture aren't the most fun to decorate, but creating a space you feel comfortable in is essential. Start visualizing how you want to decorate your room, and how you want it to look, if you haven't yet. Then, make sure to add any items you want to decorate with to your packing list! Don't forget Command hooks and strips to hang photos, art and mirrors!

6. Finalize any arrangements with your roommate(s)

But, before you go crazy buying decor and planning your entire room, you should probably finalize all plans with your roommate. Dorm rooms with coordinating sides are absolutely adorable, but you can also mix and match based on individual taste. You should also find out who is bringing what appliances, and other essentials so that nothing is left out, or doubled up. Communicating with your roommate or roommates now will help ease any tension or awkwardness when you are actually living together!

7. Complete loan counseling and master promissory note

Any students taking out federal loans have to complete a loan counseling class and fill out a master promissory note. These tasks can be tedious and a tiny bit time consuming, but necessary to get your money. If you have accepted federal loans, you have probably received emails and letters from you school about completing counseling and a MPN. Do not ignore them!! Get them done before the craziness of college starts!

8. Compare book prices

When you ask college students what the worst part of college is, I'm willing to bet you will get an answer pertaining to buying textbooks. We took for granted the free books we have been given since kindergarten, but now we have to foot the bill for them. While supporting your school is great, buying books from the campus bookstore is very costly. Renting, or buying textbooks used is a great way to save yourself some money. Get your book list and start comparing prices on multiple websites to find the best price! Be sure to watch for specifications such as online access cards, and use the ISBN number to search!

9. Compare your bill with your incoming financial aid

Over half of full-time college students get some assistance in the form of financial aid -- scholarships, grants, federal loans. If you are getting any money from the government, you will need to compare your incoming financial aid with your bill. You will be responsible for any charges not covered by financial aid, and there will be a deadline for you to pay those fees whether that be out of pocket or with private loans. On the reverse side, any overages in financial aid will be refunded to you. It is not a good idea to blow the money as soon as you get it. Use it as your emergency money, or start paying back any loans right away, before interest starts accruing! If you have any questions about financial aid and bills, contact your school's finance and financial aid offices.

10. Finally, spend time with your loved ones

The final task on my last minute college to-do list is spending time with your loved ones. It is almost a guaranteed that you will miss your family, and they will miss you immensely over the next few months. You never know when the next time you see your high school friends will be. Being away from pets can be hard to handle, also. You may come to regret not spending your last days with your family if you don't. While it may seem "lame" or "uncool" to have a family movie or game night, these are moments that will be cherished for years.

It is my sincere hope that this list has helped at least somebody get a head start on the pre-college tasks we all face. College has the potential to hold the best friends, memories and moments of our lives. Take care of the less fun stuff so that you can have fun and make the most of college once it starts! I wish everyone luck in the upcoming school year!