Emotional Larry Sanders Casts Vote for His Brother at Democratic National Convention

Brooklyn-born sons share touching moment during DNC roll call

11
AOL

PHILADELPHIA, PA- During Tuesday's roll call at the Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia, each state and territory presented their delegate counts to Stephanie Rawlings-Blake, secretary of the DNC.

One of the presidential primary contests is known as "Democrats Abroad." This primary allows American citizens currently living outside of the United States to cast a vote for their preferred candidate during the primary season. There are 17 total delegates in the Democrats Abroad primary.

Larry Sanders, the older brother of former Democratic candidate Bernie Sanders, was a delegate for Democrats Abroad due to his residence in the United Kingdom. The delegation initially voted seven for Hillary Clinton, and nine for Bernie Sanders. However, the 17th vote was presented by Larry in an emotional testimony.

"I want to read before this convention the names of our parents: Eli Sanders and Dorothy Glassberg Sanders. They did not have easy lives and they died young. They would be immensely proud of their son and his accomplishments. They loved him." - Larry Sanders

Larry highlighted his parents' love for Franklin D. Roosevelt's New Deal, and how they would be especially proud that "Bernard" is renewing that mission.

During the campaign, Senator Sanders has told the story of how he and his brother are the sons of Polish immigrants. They came to this country with nearly no money, and have never made much money. Growing up in Brooklyn, they lived in a small one-room rent controlled apartment in a neighborhood made up mostly of immigrants. Their father, who spoke very little English, was never unemployed, they were never hungry, but money was tight.

Larry, like his brother, is also involved in politics. In the 1980s, Larry joined the Labour Party, where he would remain until switching to the Green Party in the early 2000s. On the Oxfordshire County Council, Larry was elected as the Green Party's county councilor, focusing on social and health services. Larry ran as a Green Party candidate for Oxford West and Abingdon's representation in Parliament during the 2015 general election. He received over 4 percent of the vote.

Here's to the original "Bernie Bro," a figure whom we hear little about, but one who has stood by his brother and his progressive beliefs throughout his lifetime.