7 Hacks To Land Your Dream Internship

7 Hacks To Land Your Dream Internship

The job hunt begins now!

5
7 Hacks To Land Your Dream Internship
pixabay.com

The spring semester of my sophomore year, one of my professors really pushed me to start getting some relevant, real-world experience. He used to tease me a whole lot about how focused I was on getting good grades… And one day, he told me that if I really am so set on being successful, then I needed to get an internship and build up my résumé.

According to my professor, good grades and involvement on campus weren’t enough to get me to where I wanted to be. In hindsight, he was totally right, and I am so glad he pushed me that day, almost two and a half years ago.

That night, I surfed the web and began applying to a handful of different internships. Not long into my search, I ended up finding an organization that assists professional women to network and job hunt. Shorty after I applied, I was called in for an interview, and within a couple of weeks, I was hired! It was a huge transition, as I was to work 20+ hours per week while still maintaining full-time student status at school. Crazy as it might sound, it was possibly the best decision I ever made.

Now, I have just completed my fourth internship and have recently been offered a position as a part-time writer for a local news channel.

Since I am finally where I want to be in the search for a career thanks to my handful of internship experiences, I have made a list of tips for those who are hoping to find an internship and/or figure out the whole career thing:

1. Dabble, Dabble, Dabble!

Before I landed my dream internship at a local news channel, I tested the waters in many different fields. I dabbled in administrative work, writing, analytics, and partook in lots of extracurricular activities. Not only did I gain valuable experience in various areas, I also learned about what I like and dislike in a professional setting.

Sure, you may have to accept an internship that you are not initially thrilled about, but sometimes you have to make sacrifices and think with the future in mind. Once you land that first internship (no matter what it is,) it will be much easier to get a second, third, and fourth moving forward!

2. Build relationships with your professors.

If I hadn’t had such a great relationship with my finance professor, I probably never would have taken the initiative to begin seriously applying for internships. I am so glad that he offered me the advice he did.

Professors can also act as references, help you to network with the right people, and steer you in the right direction when it comes to job hunting.

3. Be mindful of your personal brand.

Before you begin applying for jobs, I suggest you google yourself and see what comes up. You’d be surprised how much you’ll come across! If you’ve been involved at your university, you will likely come across marketing material that the school has posted regarding different events or fundraisers you’ve supported – which is a very good thing! However, you might also come across pictures and other things that you’ve posted on your social media accounts. Be mindful of the privacy settings of your accounts, as well as the types of things you post.

Try to actually be the person you tell employers you are. Maybe it’s time to limit your posts about makeup and increase your posts about causes you care about.

If you’d like to start building your “professional” personal brand, I suggest that you create a LinkedIn account if you don’t already have one. You can post professional articles that can serve as your portfolio. I always include a link to my LinkedIn when applying for jobs. I find that it serves as a nice complement to my résumé, since I try to keep my resume short.

4. Push yourself.

The very first accounting course I took felt like hell on earth. Mid-way through the semester, I felt so traumatized by the course that I decided I wanted to withdraw. When I visited my academic counselor, he refused to let me withdraw. His response to my request was, “Absolutely not, Kristy. Whatever you are doing right now, do more, and you will be fine.” At that moment, I was so angry that he was forcing me to stay in the course. I didn’t think it was possible to do any more than I was already doing. However, since he gave me no choice, I decided to push myself even harder to do well. I managed to get an A in the course.

From that experience, I learned that giving up is not an option. It’s important to apply this mentality to all aspects of your career. If you push yourself in school and in work, you will eventually land a great internship.

Hard work will always be recognized.

5. Be a good student.

At the end of the day, it is still so important to be a good student. Good things will come out of working hard one way or another. First of all, knowledge is power. If you pay attention in your classes and actually learn the material, then you will be able to flaunt all that you genuinely know during an interview. If you are qualified and prepared, then there is nothing to worry about.

6. Don’t be cocky.

Let’s not forget the importance of personality. People often decide within seconds whether or not they like someone, and I can say that I am a strong believer in the idea that people give off positive or negative vibes.

If you go into an interview thinking that you are God’s gift to the world, you might just give off a vibe that is overwhelming and distasteful. Remember, people who hire you have to work with you, so if they don’t like you from the outset, it doesn’t matter how qualified you may you think you are.

Stay humble, people!

7. Do not lie on your résumé!

Plain and simple! Do not pretend to be someone you're not or overstate your qualifications. If you fake your way into landing an internship, you will not only hurt the company, but you will hurt yourself. Sometimes it is okay to fake it 'til you make it, but certain things just can't, and shouldn't be, faked.