Lakers Struggle Early

The new look Los Angeles Lakers have debuted, and after a disappointing 4-6 start, there are rumblings of head coach Luke Walton being on the hot seat. The Lakers have faced off against tough teams like the Rockets, Raptors, and Timberwolves but the losses against those competing teams have been ugly.

While the Lakers will most likely improve on their record from last year, the expectations given in the offseason might be a bit too high for LA to reach. Lebron James is the clear leader of the team and is working with lots of young talent like Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram, and Kyle Kuzma. All three of these players have shown a lot in their first years and will most likely develop into steady NBA players, but playing in LA with Lebron, they need to win now.

This is a tough time for the Lakers as they're still trying to find lineups and schemes that work well for their team for the postseason. The young players are still adjusting to having the spotlight on them all the time playing with Lebron, but there is something that every Lebron team has had that the Lakers don't, shooters.

The Lakers are full of players who can spread the ball around and make plays in transition but the key to playing on a team with Lebron is outside shooting. Lebron is a very physical player who can draw double teams in the paint, and when this happens it opens up other players on the outside. The problem with LA is that they don't have a consistent shooter to take that role.

Players like Josh Hart or Lonzo Ball can make shots, but if they're the best shooters on your team, you're in trouble. The trade deadline in the middle of the season would most likely be the time that the Lakers try to make a move for an outside shooter. LA also is hoping to make a big splash in free agency next year with names like Kevin Durant, Klay Thompson, Kawhi Leonard, and Anthony Davis all being rumored targets for the Lakers.