Ladies Of Color To Honor

5 Ladies Of Color To Honor On International Women's Day

Let's shed some light on unheard women of color this International Women's Day.

190
Frida Kahlo

International Women's Day falls on March 8th, 2019. This day is meant to celebrate all the accomplishments made by women. These achievements are included in areas pertaining to politics, society, economy, and academics. According to the International Women's Day website, "International Women's Day is all about unity, celebration, reflection, advocacy, and action — whatever that looks like globally at a local level."

Many women broke barriers throughout history. In this article specifically, I'll be going over several women of color who made an impact in the world. This is not to say that white women have not contributed to the cause since there have been many extraordinary white ladies who have achieved great accomplishments. However, it's important to acknowledge the ladies we don't always hear about in the media or in history books.

1. Wangari Maathai

She's an environmental activist born in Kenya who founded the Green Belt Movement. This foundation campaigned for conservation, planting trees, and even for women's rights. She became the first woman with a doctorate degree in East and Central Africa. Maathai received a Nobel Peace Prize in 2004 for her efforts in sustainability and peace.

2. Frida Kahlo

This bisexual Mexican artist branded herself with her unique paintings that infused identity and gender in a cohesive, vibrant manner. Kahlo's paintings weren't fully appreciated during her lifetime. Although, Kahlo soon became the highest-selling woman in art when her self portrait, "Roots," was auctioned off for $5.62 million.

3. Bessie Coleman

Coleman, an African American woman, became the first American woman to earn an international pilot's license and the first black woman to stage a public flight, which took place in 1922. She would refuse to fly in front of segregated audiences, and the money that was collected from her performances helped fund a school to train black aviators.

4. Junko Tabei

Tabei climbed Mount Everest, becoming the first woman to ever reach its summit in 1975. This Japanese woman made headlines for her strength, symbolizing women's empowerment and debunking female stereotypes.

5. Gabriela Mistral

This Chilean poet-diplomat, whose real name Lucila Godoy Alcoyaga, became the first Latin American author to receive the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1945. Her work often talked about motherhood, love, and nature, and allowed readers to explore Latin American identity.

Women have come a long way and successfully climbed their way to the top of the ladder, reaching for the stars. It's important to acknowledge the women around you this March 8th and appreciate the small to large efforts that have been made by them. Learn about all types of women, especially those who are underrepresented in society, and let them fuel your ambition to be the change you want to see in the world. Whether your dream lands in the arts, the laboratory, or in the White House, know that it is possible.

Remember, it's only crazy until you do it.