Worry Not Ladies: Common IUD Fears Debunked

Those pesky strings reap their well-deserved benefits.

105

No matter what form of birth control you use, there are always associated fears and myths. Here are 8 IUD fears debunked:

There REALLY isn't a time commitment.

Some IUDs like the Mirena can be effective for up to five years, others can last as long as 12. However, this doesn't mean that you can't request to have it removed if you feel it isn't the right fit for you!

For Some: Kiss That Period GOODBYE.

Some women, like in my case, don't pursue the IUD initially as a contraceptive. Some find that the insertion of the IUD either dramatically decreases their mensuration flow, or cuts it off altogether.

You can "check yourself" and be in the loop about your IUD's position. 

Some women find that their IUD's get lodged in health-threatening locations. This can easily be avoided by every-other-week checks to make sure it's properly in place.

It more than likely WON'T cost you a pretty penny.

Some insurance plans will cover the cost of IUD insertions ENTIRELY.

Not good with hormonal contraceptives? That's okay!

The IUD comes in many different forms. The hormonal version, the Mirena, isn't ideal for some! Instead, there are other options like the copper IUD, commonly referred to as the ParaGard.

You WILL survive the insertion!

The insertion, and a few hours following, simply feels like a really bad period cramp. But recently, gynecologists are prescribing pain relieving prescriptions to be taken PRIOR to the appointment to aid women in pain.

It's effective rate: 99.9%.

Enough said.

The IUD WON'T make you infertile.

Dalkon Shield, one of the first forms of the IUD, used to be linked to infections that cause infertility. However, these side effects are not present in the currently provided forms of the IUD. It takes the average couple around four months to become pregnant following the removal of an IUD.

But keep in mind ladies: Regardless, BE EDUCATED.

Maybe the IUD isn't the right fit for you, and that's okay! Look into your options for your specific needs and talk with your gynecologist about your concerns.

From Your Site Articles