Lack of Compassion for the Homeless: An Examination of Mental Health and Homelessness

Who are we as human beings if we ignore the suffering of others?

270
Eliza Jasleen Cabrera

In the United States and across the globe there is heavy stigma against people with mental illness. In the 1960’s when mental institutions began to release their patients from their facilities, hundreds of thousands of people ended up on the streets, without a home, food to eat, without the medication treatment and support they need, and completely stripped of their humanity. The documentary West 47th Street allows for the close examination of the lives of four people with serious mental illnesses who are recovering aided with the help of the Fountain House organization. The film allows for observation of the impact of homelessness not only on mental health, but on the people diagnosed with the disorders as well. Furthermore, the film depicts how people with mental disorders and illnesses are still people who have emotions, who go through hardships, who can accomplish goals, have jobs, and be loved members within their communities.

Although there are multiple people within the Fountain House organization, the film focuses on the lives of four people in particular: Fitzroy Frederick, Frances Olivero, Zeinab and Tex Gordon. These four people recovering from serious mental illnesses ranging from major depression to schizophrenia are introduced to viewers as they recall horrible events while living on the streets. Through different sources and paths, these people are lead to the Fountain House organization which is dedicated to giving people with mental illnesses things that make them feel like people such as jobs, homes, support and a community in which they can grow. Furthermore, the foundation is focused on giving people the ability to take care of themselves, independence and an environment in which they can thrive and recover from their mental illness. As one member states, “[They] are important to us. [They] are part of the family now.” Throughout the film, we see these characters develop and grow, the impact they have and the difficult situations they face. The film truly restores the humanity behind these people who have been dehumanized, reminding us that they are people just like us (Lichtenstein & Peoples, 2001).

One of most heart-warming stories follows the protagonist Francis Olivero. When we are introduced to him he reveals that during his childhood he was abused and beaten by seven different men whom he saw as father’s and “Not one knew how to hug [him], kiss [him], or take [him] to a ball game. [He] just wants to be accepted as a person.” He is diagnosed with manic depressive disorder and gender dysmorphia, appearing very distressed and dysfunctional, and performing femininity such as having pink nail polish on, makeup, and wearing dresses. Olivero discloses he had been living in poor living conditions in a broken down building with rats and mice, working as a home attendant for 17 years. When the woman whom he cared for passed away he was forced to live on the streets for one year and six months prior to entering the program. He becomes very involved within the community and is extremely loved within the community. Olivero begins working with administration and politicians in order to reduce the stigma surrounding mental illnesses, even passing a bill and speaking with politicians to make a change in the life of those affected with mental illnesses. Throughout the film we see his path towards growth and recovery, which he states Fountain House is completely responsible for. Olivero returns into identifying as a man and develops the necessary skills needed to live amongst other people.

Unfortunately, Olivero discovers a mass growing in his abdomen and upon medical testing, doctor’s reveal that he has multiple untreatable cancers including kidney cancer, which have spread and extended throughout his body. As the film progresses, he remains hopeful and optimistic while battling the disease. In his last scene, he is shown frail and noticeable thinner in a medical bed seeing his mother and sisters for the first time in many years. Then it is revealed that he passed away from cancer and was honored by the New York legislature for his dedication in fighting stigma around mental health.

One of the prevalent themes in the film is engaging people who suffer from serious mental illnesses and treating them as “people”. Coldwell and Bender (2007) conducted a study in which they analyzed the effectiveness of assertive community treatment for homeless populations with severe mental illnesses by comparing community-based treatments and standard case management models. They found that in subjects in assertive community treatment were 37 percent less likely to face homelessness and 26% more likely to recover from severe mental illnesses. According to their findings, community-based treatment is significantly more effective in treating mentally ill people and reducing homelessness amongst this vulnerable population of people. Organizations such as Fountain House which provide community-based treatment and opportunities and should be implemented across the nation to increase recovery amongst mental ill people.

People who are homeless and/or suffer from mental illnesses deserve to be treated with the same respect as someone who is able bodied. These people--yes, people-- should not be degraded or cast aside in the shadows. The do not need to be judged nor should they have to justify why they are worthy of your support (whether it be through donations of food, money, or material possessions.) It all comes down to treating these people like you would want to be treated. If you see someone in need and can give them some something, please do. The world needs more humanity and compassion for the vulnerable people in our society.