Knowing When To Move On

Knowing When To Move On

It is okay

19
Knowing When To Move On

Psalm 31:24 “Be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart, all ye that hope in the LORD.”

When letting go, God reveals opportunities that we never knew could exist. He shows us beautiful things we may have never seen before. Let go and let God.

As young adults, we change and develop on a daily basis. With that being said, our friendships and romantic relationships are prone to change and this is okay. I am 19 now and looking back to the person I was at 15 is almost like remembering a stranger, I don't even know that person. I was in a relationship from 15 to almost 18 years old, almost three years may not sound like a lot to some people, but to a growing teenager, you as a person have most likely and hopefully changed a lot. Throughout this relationship, it seemed I was changing and growing while he was staying the same, but in my mind, I felt stuck because we had been together so long. I was wrong.

There is no reason to ever feel like you need to "settle" on something at 17 years old, l wish I could have told younger me this at the time. In this situation, I know your worst fear in the back of your mind is the hurting the person, but in the process why should you be okay with hurting yourself and ultimately them? If feelings are absent and the relationship is beginning to feel like a burden rather than an addition to your life, this is not the way it should be. Keeping them around so you can stay in your "comfortable relationship" leads on your significant other and it ends up hurting so much more in the end. Feel confident in your gut feeling, if it feels wrong and you're constantly questioning if it's wrong; then it is.

If there are feelings for someone else when you are taken, in my personal opinion this can be mistaken for strong friend love or there is something there. Slowly falling in love with someone while with another person is never okay in any circumstance. Just because you are not physically cheating does not mean you are not cheating with your mind. In my situation that I talked about at the beginning, I felt so much guilt for not having the same feelings back I convinced myself that feelings for another person in my life meant nothing and I should ignore. I did ignore for a long time but I felt so incomplete and I realized the more I stayed the more I wanted them to be like that other person. I wanted them to understand my passions, and who I was maturing to be but they just did not. It was not healthy because if your significant other cannot have all of who you are it is not fair to them or especially you. Knowing when to move on is so hard but over time the other person will heal and you will be a better person for it.