Know Your English

Know Your English

11 grammar and spelling rules you must know by college

21
Know Your English
Cathryn Lavery

People always say that English is one of the hardest languages to learn because we have a tendency to make rules just so we can turn around and break them (I'm looking at you, "I before E except after C") and I don't doubt that truth at all, it can be confusing. However, if you are a native English speaker and you have been accepted in to college, there is no reason you shouldn't understand how to use an apostrophe or how to spell the word "definitely." In case you were too busy eating paste during second grade to learn how to write, I've put together a list of the most avoidable (and most annoying) grammar mistakes no college student should make.

1. They're, Their and There

I know that there are three of them and that's a lot to keep track of, but t's really not that difficult, I promise.

"They're" is a contraction of "they are."

"There" is a place.

"Their" is a possessive pronoun.

"They'rethere with their children."

2. To vs. Too vs. Two

That's an awfully permanent mistake, I would hate for that to be you.

"To" can be a preposition that will always precede a noun or an infinitive that precedes a verb.

"Too" can be used as a synonym or to indicate excess.

"Two" is a number.

"I will go to the store to buy two watermelon, too."

3. There is a difference between "then" and "than"

Clearly bad grammar leads to bad tattoos, don't be like these people.

"Then" relates to time.

"Than" is a comparison of two things.

Pop music is not better then rap music and you are not going to dinner than to a movie.

4. You're and Your

I think good ol' Ross pretty much says it all.

"Your" is a possessive adjective.

"You're" is a contraction of "you" and "are."

"You're going to the zoo with your girlfriend."

5. It's vs. Its

This is another REALLY easy one... c'mon guys, I know you can get this.

"Its" is the possessive of "it."

"It's" is always a contraction of "it" and "is."

"Sometimes it's not really important to a cat where its owner is."

6. A lot or Alot?

Repeat after me:

Alot is not a word.

Alot is not a word.

Alot is not a word.

It is ALWAYS a lot. Always.

7. Could Of, Should Of, Would Of

Do yourself a favor and eliminate all three of these phrases from your vocabulary. The proper thing to say is "could have," "should have" or "would have."

"If I would have finished my homework, I could havegone to the party. I should have started sooner."

8. Irregardless

Regardless of who you are, irregardless is not a word. It never has been, it never will be.

9. Apart vs. A Part

This lesson is getting a little harder, but I have faith in you.

"Apart" is an adverb meaning "separated" or "separately."

A "part" is a noun meaning a piece or segment of something.

"My life is falling apart, I wish I was a part of support group for stressed out college students."

10. Loose and Lose

"Loose" is the opposite of tight.

"Lose" is the opposite of win.

"My sister's tooth is loose pretty soon she is going to lose it."

11. Affect vs. Effect

I'm not going to lie, I have to Google this one all the time so I don't really blame you if you don't know it, but you should learn anyway.

"Affect" is a verb that produces change.

"Effect" is a noun and is the change or result that takes place.