5 Truths Behind Greek Life Cliches

5 Truths Behind Greek Life Cliches

Greek life.

228
5 Truths Behind Greek Life Cliches
Me

"From the outside looking in, you can't understand it. From the inside looking out, you can't explain it." Nothing has ever been so true. My sorority is more than wearing cute letters, dressing up for formals and always having a group at, you know, the bar or a party. You've probably heard a sorority girl say, "We aren't all the same. You don't know us." I hate to say it, but it's true. The movies don't capture real life. Want to talk about breaking through barriers and stereotypes? Be in a Greek-affiliated organization and then we'll talk. Yes, a lot of the cliches are real, but do you know the reality behind them?

1. Sorority songs.

There are different kinds of songs sang by Greek organizations. There are ritual songs that are only allowed to be sang at a certain time, in a certain place, with certain people. Then there are chants. These are what I'm most proud of. They're screamed across campus, at parties, on penny bars, in houses, at sporting events and even on special nights. Chants are what people complain about the most, yet end up chanting to themselves. Yes, there are dirty songs, as well. These are just as fun as the chants, however, there's also a time and place. Every organization has them! Remember that next time you want to bash a certain sorority or fraternity.

2. Bigs and Littles.

I have a large family and I love every one of them. There are so many twins in our family that we currently have five active generations. My Little is like my child. I'll fight for her and protect her until the end. If you're lucky, you get the perfect Little. Mine and I even look similar. Then, there are the grand-Littles and further down. The best part about anyone getting a Little is the bond those two get to experience, that no one else can or will understand. I'm searching for the right words to explain this, and I can't.

3. Academics and volunteering.

The portrayal of Greek organizations in movies is completely wrong. On average, Greek organizations carry the highest GPA's on campus. For most chapters, you must maintain a certain GPA in order to even stay active. Also, there are usually a set number of volunteer hours each member must complete per semester. Volunteer hours are huge, this is also why Greek organizations have something called a Philanthropy. Throughout the year, chapters will host events and donate items, all the profit from their philanthropy, community and any volunteer work possible!

4. We don't buy our friends.

Probably one of my biggest pet peeves. Yes, we pay to be here. No, we do not pay for our friends. I pay to be a part of something I love. Remember in high school, you had to pay an activity fee for a sport or club? You do in a small town, anyway. If I pay for my friends here, then I guess I did in high school when I paid that fee, as well. I pay to be a part of an organization that helps others and myself. We host events, raise a ton of money and have a blast doing it. If that means, I pay for my friends, I sure as hell didn't pay enough!

5. You become part of something bigger than yourself.

We do way more than wear letters and be yakked about. A sorority is a safe place you can go when you're away from home and have no idea what to do. It's a home away from home with a family you've chosen and are now stuck with. It's a new big sister, then soon a new little sister. It's receiving a bunch of new sisters at one time and knowing, even if you don't fit in anywhere else, you will always fit in there.

It's not rainbows and butterflies 24/7. It's the ups, downs, dead ends, breakdowns, breakups, fights, lowest moments, highest moments and dreams coming true. It's the day you get your dream job, find out you're actually spending the rest of your life with the person you love the most and knowing you have your strongest supporters by your side. As a senior, 28 days out, I may not have wanted to go to the college I did, but I'm so proud to be a Greek.