Call It What You Want, But Disrespecting The National Anthem Is Hate Speech

I will stand enough times for the both of us.
1064

If there's one thing you'll see over and over on any social media outlet these days, at any time of the day or on any news channel, it's professional athletes uniting by kneeling at the national anthem. There are thousands of opinions on this, but here's mine — It's such a terrible sight to see: our nation failing to come together in a peaceful manner yet again.

Will any of this ever stop?

I believe kneeling at the anthem is the most unpatriotic thing I've seen in eighteen years of living. The national anthem, all branches of the military, and the red, white and blue hit home for me, as I'm sure it does for many of you. I've had numerous family members serve in our military and currently my brother is on deployment in Syria, fighting for this divided nation at this very moment.

By kneeling you are not only disrespecting the national anthem and the people that died for it, but the people that are currently fighting for you.

Right now, my brother is spending another month in the Middle East fighting for our country, while people are bashing its name, burning our flags, and kneeling at our nation's anthem. It's disgusting and it's pathetic.

I believe that everybody has their own right to free speech and we can form our own opinions; don't get me wrong. But kneeling at a song that represents our country, the people that died fighting for it, and all that aspects that made it the way it is, is a whole other level of disgusting.

I didn't think times would get this bad, when following the terrible lead of one person would become the new "thing to do."

Colin Kaepernick is setting an example for today's youth that you should stand up for what you believe is right, but he did it in the WORST way I can think possible. There are plenty of other ways anybody could've gone about it.

This country is built on democracy and free speech, but why spread hate speech?

Call it what you want, but disrespecting the national anthem and all those that fought for YOUR right to free speech is as much hate as racism, homophobia and bigotry.

While you're choosing to kneel on your more than capable, healthy legs, there are double amputee veterans standing for you. There are veterans that lost limbs, their hearing, sight, or ability to walk that will STILL STAND FOR YOU. They are doing the work you should be doing because you're fed up with the way this country is going, and you're part of the problem.

My brother, his brothers, his best friends, are overseas right now fighting for your right to kneel during this supposedly respectable song. Men and women risked their lives and died for people like you to be proud of this country and to love the U.S.A. But what some people are doing diminishes all of the work and soul they put into fighting for this country.

Call it what you want. I dare you to talk to any veteran and any active military member and you are 100% entirely disrespecting the flag and all that comes along with it.

Next time you want to kneel during our nation's song, next time you're ashamed to stand and ashamed to be apart of this country, do people a favor and leave it.

I know damn well I'll stand tall and proud every... single... time that song comes on, enough for the both of us and enough for the people that don't appreciate this country the way you should.