8 Things You Never Knew About Kings Dominion

You'll have more fun for two hours on a Tuesday night than four hours on a Saturday.

852
Lesly Salazar

If you grew up in the DMV, you've definitely visited Kings Dominion. You might have gone on a field trip during elementary school, or even for your senior class trip. This summer, my family got season passes. We went to Kings Dominion 16 times this summer. Yep, it's a lot, I know.

There are so many great things about this park that everyone knows about like Planet Snoopy, the 305-foot-tall Intimidator, and Soak City, the huge waterpark included with park admission.

However, there are a few things I thought I would share with you all because I think they're some of Kings Dominion's best kept secrets:

1. Parent swap pass...

Going to Kings Dominion with one other adult and a 2-year-old can be a little less than exciting because you spend most of your time at Planet Snoopy and don't get to ride the "big" rides anymore. Kings Dominion acknowledges the parent struggle, so they have a magical pass to solve that problem.

After picking up a FREE blue parent swap pass from Guest Services, you write both your names on it. While one parent stays with the child, the other enjoys a rollercoaster. After said parent is done screaming their lungs out and exits the ride, that parent then gives the blue pass to a ride operator and lets them know the other parent will be swapping with them. When the parent returns, the one who waited gets to walk up the exit and ride without having to wait in any lines.

This pass basically acknowledges parents wouldn't have to wait separately in line if it weren't for their little one. So instead of having to wait in line like the first parent did, parent #2 gets to ride right after parent #1 finishes riding!

2. "Dinosaurs Alive!"

This walkthrough exhibit is free if you have a gold pass, and it's only $5 if you don't. It takes about 20 minutes to walk through and it's actually so legit. The dinosaurs look pretty realistic and they move. If you decide to visit Kings Dominion on a weekend, and you don't feel like waiting another hour to ride the Volcano, take a stroll through Dinosaurs Alive! It's definitely worth it.

3. All-Day dining pass.

If you don't get the chance to visit Kings Dominion too often, I would highly recommend buying this pass. It costs $29.99, and a meal at KD costs an average of $12.

You can easily split this pass with one other adult and still make the most of it. You get to buy an entree and side every 90 minutes. The ability to constantly eat means your appetite won't be as big each time you eat. Also, some KD restaurants have more than enough food for two people. The Country Kitchen is hands down THE place to go to really get your money's worth. You get a heaping plate of fried (or grilled) chicken and get to choose two large servings of either mac and cheese, mashed potatoes, green beans or sweet potatoes.

The pizza place in Candy Apple Grove would be my next suggestion. If you're splitting the pass with another adult, I wouldn't bother getting any sandwiches or burgers.

4. "Jump: The Ultimate Dog Show."

If you don't have a kid, chances are you probably haven't seen this show. The arena for this dog show is located in Planet Snoopy, and if you love dogs, you definitely have to see this show. Lou Mack, the dog handler, and the dogs have performed all over the world and on national television.

Spoiler: You'll see a 15-year-old dog do a back flip!

5. Lost and found.

Let's face it, most of us have lost something at an amusement park and thought, "I'll never get that back." Kings Dominion has a lost and found, however, and they're pretty good at keeping track of things. They hold items for up to 30 days, so if you lose something, stop by and see if they have it.

6. Rainy days are still fun!

Not only are they fun, but they're probably one of the best days to go. It started raining during two of my visits this summer, and it was the best thing that could have happened. The park literally emptied out, and there were absolutely no lines! As long as there isn't an electrical storm, most of the rides stay open.

Make sure to always have a poncho or two handy because if you don't like being soggy and wet, it'll make the experience a little less fun. I didn't mind at all so I had a blast!

7. Yes, your toddler can ride alone.

Well, at least on one ride. Peanuts Turnpike requires riders to be less than 54 inches tall, which means your toddler can finally enjoy a ride without you! My two-year-old rode almost every ride in Planet Snoopy this summer, which means we did too. Don't be fooled by the term "kiddy ride" though. There's actually some pretty fun rides like the Flying Ace Balloon Race, Lucy's Tugboat and Peanuts 500.

8. Don't bother going on the weekends...

You have two options. You either go on a weekend and stay 5-6 hours and wait an average of 30 minutes in line each time you want to ride something. Oh and don't get me started on how hard it is to find a chair at Soak City on the weekends.

Option two is going during the week, staying 2-3 hours, but almost never waiting to get on a ride. Seriously, I think I might have waited in line twice all summer (during a weekday). The stay might be shorter, but the quality of the experience is much better.

Because of work and traffic, my fiance and I sometimes didn't make it to KD until 5:30 p.m. The park closes at 8 p.m.during the week so it hardly seemed worth it. However, we quickly realized how great it was and started making a habit of it.