Here's To Being A Kid From The 90's

Here's To Being A Kid From The 90's

We sometimes forget how amazing and fun the 90's were, with wonderful bands, movies and much more.

25
Here's To Being A Kid From The 90's
Julia Karlovec

Bands and CD’s

There are so many bands and singers in our childhood that we love(d). The main ones that we will remember are the Backstreet Boys, NSync, Britney Spears, Spice Girls, Nelly Furtado,Cristina Aguilera,Mariah Carey,Gwen Stefani, and Sheryl Crow. When we were younger we would love watching them in concert and listen to their CD’s. During our childhood, CD’s were popular; unlike today where we listen to music on our iPhones or iPods through our auxiliary cords. In the 90’s CD’s children loved listening to their favorite artist on a CD. They would end up just listening over and over again until we basically memorized the order of the songs on the CD and the lyrics to all the songs.

Movies

Many movies during our childhood stole our hearts and helped us remember our childhood to this day. Some of these movies were: Home-Alone, Mulan, The Parent Trap, Matilda, Aladdin, Pocahontas, Mrs. Doubtfire, Hocus-Pocus, The Lion King, Smart House,The Addams Family and Clueless (which some of us might have watched a little before we were 13 with some older siblings). All of these movies shaped our childhoods, and we probably watched them over and over again until we finally memorized all the lines in the movies, and could even repeat them in our sleep.

TV Shows

We all love(d) our 90’s TV Shows. With shows like Boy Meets World, Full House (now they made a Girl Meets World and Fuller House in today’s TV world) Rugrats, Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Friends, Family Matters, The Amanda Show and Dragon Tales.

Blockbuster and VHS movies

As a child whenever we wanted to watch a movie we went to the VHS movie shelf. There was no DVD shelf, for DVD’s were more expensive and VHS’s were really just the thing in the 90’s. We would put the VHS movie in the player, and when the movie was over we would have to rewind it, so the next time we wanted to watch it, it would be ready to watch.

Additionally, part of our childhood was spent at and using Blockbuster. Growing up the Blockbuster's were the Netflix, HBO and Amazon Prime of today for movies. We would go to Blockbuster to rent DVD’s, movies and TV shows to watch at home. We would then take them home, and if we rented a VHS tape we would have to remember to rewind the tape before bringing it back for that was just one of the policies.

Mad Libs

Whether it was a long car ride or just with friends, Mad Libs were what us 90’s kids did with friends in our free time. However, sometimes our parents would tell us to do a Mad Lib to help with our vocabulary, to build on nouns, or adjectives for this is what the game type book helps with and is also based on.

Radio Disney

Listening to the shout-outs on the station, we all wanted to hear our own voice on the station, or hear a birthday shout-out from a friend. This 90’s and still existing station, is loved by many but was loved by us 90’s children. We would stay up and listen to the top 30 songs of the week, try and call in and request songs, and like normal people do just listen to the radio during our free time.

Slap Bracelets

Painful yet entertaining hours of slapping bracelets onto our wrists. These bracelets were sold at school fairs the main place where we got them and used them on ourselves, classmates and on friends. Walking away from these bracelets our wrists would most likely be red, and so would our cheeks from laughing so much.

Lip Smackers

We would try and collect them all. We even tried to find all the flavors, and get them when they came out. Lip Smackers made some interesting flavors such as Pepsi and M&M'S but they also had some normal ones such as cherry and strawberry. They even made little holders for your Lip Smackers lip balm, if you wanted to attach it to your backpack. Lip Smackers were wonderful lip balms that were fun to smell, collect and find!