Keep Calm And Adopt A Shelter Pet

Keep Calm And Adopt A Shelter Pet

#AdoptNotShop Spotlight on Pitbull/Weimaraner Mix, Bash.

23
Keep Calm And Adopt A Shelter Pet
Tiffany Jarrett

Many of my friends have chosen to adopt animals, as opposed to buying animals from a breeder. Besides the inhumanity that animals face during the breeding process, there are many animals who need good homes. Many of them spend months, and even years, waiting for homes — some of whom end up being euthanized. In fact, many people refrain from adopting pit bulls, because society has convinced us that these pit bulls are aggressive and would not make good pets. One of my friends, Tiffany Jarrett, adopted a pit bull/Weimaraner mix, and has definitely challenged this. His name is Bash, he is 8 years old, and he is one of the sweetest dogs I have ever met.

Making the decision to adopt a pet, versus shopping for one, can be hard for some people, but for Tiffany it started with fostering. Fostering is important, because it helps give animals a chance that might not otherwise have a chance. Tiffany tells her story of meeting Bash by saying, "A friend of my roommates found him in a parking lot and couldn't keep him. He had him boarded at a vet's office and it was starting to get pricey. We were supposed to just be fostering." That fostering turned to a strong bond that ended with Bash being adopted by his foster parent.

Things are not always easy when fostering, or even adopting a pet, but Tiffany made it work. For animals that we love, we are willing to do anything for them. "I thought he was weird at first. He was food aggressive with the cats, but he didn't bother them other than that. He did have two accidents in the house that first week and refused to eat until I got him canned food with scrambled eggs. He was very skinny. Once we found out he had bad teeth, I started mixing his food with water to soften it overnight and put eggs and white rice in to help him build up some weight and muscle. That little weirdo somehow worked his way into my heart. When my roommate said she had people interested in giving him a home, I said that he had already found his. Best decision ever." Bash found his way into Tiffany's heart, and if she had never fostered him, then she would have never adopted him. It is clear that they have a bond that's meant to be.

Adopting a pet is a big step and a big responsibility, but hearing Tiffany's story proves that it is all worth it. Bash and Tiffany seem to be made for each other. She tells me, when describing her relationship with Bash, "I know, but he is my best friend. He has made me develop a routine everyday. I used to be terrible about waking up at the last minute, but now I have a reason to get up and motivated. He's perfect for me." Bash and Tiffany have such a wonderful, inseparable bond. This is very different from the way that pit bulls are portrayed in society. This animal is lovable, not aggressive. This is a shelter pet and human match made in heaven.

Bash even interacts with the other animals in the house well. There are three cats in the house, in addition to Bash. Tiffany describes the other three animals, all cats, that she adopted: "Venus and Osiris, were rescues from the shelter. Panda was found in a box at a week old by public safety at Salem College with her two siblings ... by the time she was old enough to be given a new home, I was way too attached to let her go. I put too much time, love, and vet bills into that little booger to let her go. She's 10 months old now and a huge brat, ha ha, but in a good way. Bash doesn't bother them, or really care. It was the kitties who had to warm to him. Now they sleep beside each other on the couch and in his dog bed." Bash is a lovable animal. There are many pit bulls like Bash who are waiting for deserving homes, many of whom are just as lovable and sweet as he is.

Tiffany explains that she would not have it any other way. In fact, she says, "Rescue babies are always the best babies! Just walking into a shelter breaks my heart. You see all those sweet, loving faces just looking for a chance to prove how great a companion they can be. Just like with Bash, rescues can tell when they've finally found a safe place. They seem grateful to be loved again. Their whole demeanor is just different." Shelter pets can, in fact, tell when they have found their forever home. Their eyes light up, especially when they get settled into their forever home. From working in an animal shelter, the most precious moments are those moments when the animals realize that they are leaving the shelter because they have found their forever home.

As much as I would like to stress the importance of adopting an animal from a shelter, it is also important to look at what it would look like to adopt from a breeder. A breeder is a more expensive option, as well as this contributes to the problem of overpopulation. These, among a whole host of problems, are reasons why adopting a shelter pet is a better option than buying one from a breeder. In fact, Tiffany says that she would tell someone who was considering buying from a breeder, as opposed to an animal shelter, that they should "just go to a few shelters and look around." She continued by commenting that she also finds "the right animal shows up in our lives unexpectedly." In fact, as Tiffany reflects on her adopting experience, she says, "Adopting opens your world to many other breeds, ages and personalities of animals that you otherwise wouldn't have thought to consider." The animal shelter provides you the opportunity to save an animal, and in the process, they could end up saving you as well.

One of the best things about shelter pets is their loving, unconditional love for their parents. Tiffany tells the story of when she had surgery and couldn't get up and do much for herself. She says that Bash "would lay by me all day and, every once in a while, stand up and lick my face, then lay back down. He was the best nurse ever!" Bash is there for her, providing love in a time when she was in a lot of pain. It is a mutually loving relationship between owner and pet, especially from rescue pets. Some of these rescues don't know what true love feels like until finding their forever home.

Tiffany tells me that Bash is part pit bull, but she doesn't usually mention that part until people are playing with him and loving all over him. She continues, saying, "They always have a look of surprise because he is so lovable and calm. The public stereotype is the opposite. I've used him to change several minds about pit bulls and pit mixes. Last words of advice are to not discount an animal because of public opinion or stereotype ... My pit mix and black kitties are the best things that have ever happened to me."

So remember, you should give shelter pets a chance — even breeds that you weren't considering in the first place. You never know what can happen. The shelter pet that you meet in that shelter could end up finding a forever home with you. Don't count yourself or those sweet shelter pets out!