Trials Before Triumph

Trials Before The Triumph: The Bulgarian Allstar

Karolina Arbova proves that deciding to give your 110% makes all the difference when trying to achieve the American dream.

463
https://www.instagram.com/p/BGj1Y8ZBwj61W6k0gtyAzD-AtgFGoML7tswwdI0/?taken-by=avgustina_arbova

A few weeks ago, my president for my Odyssey community, Katryna Eastwood, posted an article, "The True Life Of A College Dancer: Brittany Ferguson" and I thought it was such a cool idea to really get into the details and find out the inspirations and hardships for an athlete. So, I decided to do my own spin on it. I thought about one of my best friends who happens to be an incredibly encouraging athlete: Karolina "Kari" Arbova. So, I decided to sit down with Kari and asked her to share her story with me.

How did you really get into softball?

Kari: Our family has been doing softball and baseball for a long time. Our dad, he started baseball in Bulgaria, him and two other guys, so obviously, our whole family was into baseball and softball. Then, Mom was a basketball player and Dad ran track too, so we were basically just a family full of athletes. I mean, we spent our lives at the field. Like, every single day.

from left to right: Kari, her brother, Petar, and her twin sister, Avihttps://www.instagram.com/p/BGncVcWEwYH/?taken-by=...

Did you and your siblings only play baseball?

We ran track, we played some basketball. Not a lot though, our brother mainly played basketball. We played some volleyball, but it was never serious. Softball and baseball were. There was actually a time in my life where I decided to give up baseball for like 2 or 3 months and just ran track. I love track but I got back into baseball because I really missed it.

So, what really started your softball career?

My twin sister, Avi, and I started playing softball around the age of 12. Then, we got more serious and started going to the European Championship when we got a little older, like 14, and played athletes 21 and under. So, after a certain point, it's hard to keep pushing yourself because there isn't much competition for a smaller sport. We would have practices like twice a day because that was the only thing to do. We were at the field 24/7.

Kari and Avi on the softball team in Missouri.https://www.instagram.com/p/BGncVcWEwYH/?taken-by=...

Okay, so fast forward to your decision to come to the States. What happened there?

There was one coach from Missouri who actually coached the Bulgarian team for the European Championship, he saw us play when we were 16 and invited us to come to Missouri and play for the summer league since we were family friends. Plus, our brother was already in Chicago for school and baseball. It was really hard because we were never really apart. So, we came here and knew absolutely no one except for our coaches. We really liked playing travel ball so we decided to stay.

Kari on her softball team. Kari's personal

Was starting a new school in a different continent hard?

It was new and people were really nice, but the culture was just really different than in Bulgaria. People encouraged us to play volleyball when we started our sophomore year, so we did and we liked it. I mean, after we started, I never remember getting taken out of the game, like we were starters and everything. Then, it was basketball season and we weren't planning on playing. But, other girls on the team mentioned they needed more players, so we did. I remember, the first day, we had to do sprints on the baseline, and because I love track, I kinda outdid everyone. Well, the next day, Coach gave us our times and we had to beat it every time which made me kinda regret going so hard the first day, but looking back now, it really pushed me to give it my all.

Now, fast forward to your injuries, explain that.

So, our first year was going great. Then junior year, I really wanted to play basketball again even though everyone thought I should focus more on softball, but I really wanted to keep playing with the team. So middle of the season, I jumped and there was a girl next to me, and I ended up tearing my ACL, my MCL, and my meniscus. It wasn't a common thing back in Bulgaria so it was crazy when it happened to me. I had to go through physical therapy and wear my brace all the time. My brace was my best friend. After my surgery, I couldn't play sports and I honestly thought I was done for and I missed it. After that, I will never take playing sports or even walking, for granted. Like if it was my last practice, I want it to be my full 100%.

Kari after her first injuryKari's personal

One year later, what happened?

Next year comes, and I was pretty much getting back at it. I couldn't just sit on the sidelines anymore and I really missed playing with Avi.

I remember, even when you weren't playing, you were everyone's biggest cheerleader, especially Avi's. You were so loud and you could see the desperation to play in your eyes, so everyone knew you would get back out there.

Yeah exactly! When I got back out there, I was so much more careful. I was so careful because I knew I couldn't help them if I wasn't out there with them. Well, exactly one year later, I tore my other ACL. This time, I knew what to expect so I pushed harder and recovered faster, thankfully.

Finally, what is some advice you would give to other athletes?

Working hard is the best thing you can do. You have no other choice but to push through it. Life is gonna keep going and if you don't keep up, then you're going to fall behind. If you don't keep up, then you're out of the picture, so you just have to keep going.

Kari and Avi getting signed to Columbia College. https://columbiacougars.com/news/2018/3/6/softball-signs-arbova-twins.aspx

Now, Kari is continuing her softball career at Columbia College with a full-ride athletic scholarship. Kari proves that following your dreams can be a struggle, but as long as you push through it, you can make it. Without the support of her siblings, Avi and Petar, her parents, her friends, and her coaches, she believes she would not have ended up here. So, learn from Kari and always put in your 110% to whatever you're doing because you never know when it will be your last.