Karl Becker For President!

Karl Becker For President!

The true winner of the second presidential debate.

16
Karl Becker For President!
CNET, India Today

The verdict is in! U.S. voters have foregone tradition and embraced true democracy, naming Karl Becker our new president! Yes, we all fell fast asleep Sunday night to this wonderful dream.

Then we awoke Monday morning to this nightmare of a reality.

Karl Becker, known to many lately as "the man who asked the last question" at the second presidential debate, finally addressed a central problem of this election. This controversial production of an election has passed the point of annoying bickering children and taken a wrong turn at unproductive teenage girls feud. Although there are necessary negative topics of discussion (we'll save the talk on email scandals and sexist, objectifying language for another day), this has been the most painful election to witness.

Since this entire election has been a "show," why not throw in a true star? Karl Becker became the nation's heroic protagonist Sunday night when he concluded the unproductive presidential debate by asking the candidates to simply state one thing they each admire about the other — every production needs a good plot twist.

Some laughed, some cheered, some (two) blushed. No matter the reaction, it was quite clear why this single talking point was so important. This election comes at a pivotal time (for many reasons) and yet it has been a joke. Debate after debate and interview after interview, the voters are left feeling as though they have learned nothing. Sure, they "learn" of completely unplanned, convenient statistics that will serve as a blow to the other candidate in the ring. But these left hooks have gotten as old as these boxing puns.

I am a voter. I am a first-time voter. I eagerly waited year after year to finally exercise my blessing of a right to vote and participate in the governing of this country. And I am confused, frustrated, and disappointed. I have waited YEARS to sit back and watch power-hungry individuals bicker? Is that democracy?

Voters are bored. These debates are opportunities to inform the public of platforms and goals to be implemented if elected to office, which can be debated amongst the candidates. If I wanted to entertain trashy gossip ("WRONG") and empty arguments ("WRONG"), I would pick up a copy of the latest tabloid. It's quite clear that you are going to bash the other, because you learned so much from the demographics crying out for a "non-politician."

Perhaps these "qualified individuals" should take a page out of Mr. Becker's book and start listening to the voters. And I mean listen, unlike what they were doing Sunday night. There is no better way to irritate voters than to dismiss their original questions or waste time on idiotic bickering, when voters' questions could be answered. I'm glad you've spent hours researching and rehearsing damning statements and replies for one another. But maybe if you actually spent that time connecting with the public and talking about your specific plans and goals for office, a large portion of the country wouldn't be complaining about the horrible choices for our future president.

But if this is just too much to ask, Karl Becker for president!