Thank You, Kappa Kappa Gamma

Thank You, Kappa Kappa Gamma

"On the heart of each sister lies one key that binds us."

21
Thank You, Kappa Kappa Gamma
Arianna Cohen

It sounds incredibly cliche, but deciding to join a sorority midway through my sophomore year of college was the best decision I think I've made at Lawrence University. Never in a million years would I have considered myself to be the 'sorority type.' I have always identified with the athletic group and if you would have asked me two years ago if I would want to be in sorority, I would politely decline, laugh to myself, and walk away. But here I am, sitting in the campus center, wearing my Kappa Kappa Gamma sweatshirt, my various sorority stickers strewn across my electronic devices and notebooks, and sitting across from a sister.

Joining a sorority has opened me up to so many new people I would have never met. It all started with the first round of our recruitment. There was a girl whom I had known briefly before joining Kappa. We were from nearby hometowns and had only had a few casual conversations. She had approached me during our first round. I was nervous to be there, hoping everyone would like me. Right away, she welcomed me with open arms and invited me in like I was already family. She is the one person who truly sealed the deal for me to want to join Kappa. You know who you are. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Kappa has truly become a place of comfort and belonging. I have found, in a matter of two short months, a group of girls who will inspire me the rest of my life. My Big and Grand-Big are two of my closest friends, and I know I can count on them for anything. Kappa showed up at a time when I truly needed them. I was in one of the lowest points in my life this winter, and having Kappa really helped me to gain self confidence, to branch out, and to realize my self-worth.

Even though there are certain stigmas about sorority life, and I am not saying some of these aren't true at other schools, but at Lawrence, your sorority is your family, and Kappa Kappa Gamma is my family. I am proud to wear my letters and I am proud to call these girls my sorority sisters.