Can Kanye West Really Have A Future In Politics?

Kanye promised to run in 2020. Has Trump made it possible for other celebrities to have a chance at the White House?

18
Business Insider

During the 2015 MTV Video Music Awards, Kanye West announced he would run for president in 2020. The statement caused a stir throughout the audience, but most people simply brushed off the promise as a celebrity publicity stunt. But Donald Trump’s recent victory in the presidential election has legitimized the chances of many possible candidates that would have otherwise seemed unrealistic to take his place. So, now that we have decided the 2016 presidential election, it’s time to look forward to the 2020 elections and examine the polarizing Kanye West’s strengths and weaknesses as a legitimate political candidate.

Strengths.

Kanye West represents a man who is living out the modern-day American dream: raised by a single mother in Chicago’s impoverished and dangerous Southside, he became one of the most successful and critically acclaimed musical artists of the 21st century, earning 21 Grammy awards for his music. A person with the talent, intelligence and work ethic to achieve such heights could likely be successful at any position.

Kanye West will also resonate with a large portion of young voters due to the popularity of his music and the celebrity status he maintains. In addition to his young fan base, he himself is young for a politician. The results of this election have shown that people are fed up with the way things are, and almost any shake-up of the status quo is seen in a positive light. In 2020, Kanye will be 43 years old, a refreshing change for voters after having to choose between a 69- and 70-year-old. Additionally, West would likely run as a typically youth-favored liberal, having in the past made several pro-marijuana statements and criticizing former conservative president George W. Bush.

Many candidates running without the backing of a major political party have trouble gaining recognition from the public. West has been a household name for years and even among celebrities has shown a knack for drawing eyes to him and causing people to talk about him. Any political move he makes will be discussed at great lengths, adding to his legitimacy as a candidate more and more over time.

Weaknesses.

Kanye West technically has no experience holding or running for public office, so relevant experience is certainly not his strong suit. That means he would be running for president without ever having dealt with issues of foreign policy, legislation, enforcement of the law or military engagement. But, President-elect Trump had no political experience either, and he beat out the former Secretary of State.

Though West is certainly a household name, the reputation he maintains is not always a positive one, especially to those who have no interest in his music and only hear his name in connection with publicity stunts and petty celebrity behavior. Additionally, his marriage into the Kardashian family is seen by many as the epitome of the decline of pop culture and society. This relationship will certainly turn older, actively voting generations against him.

Kanye West never graduated from college, either, giving him very little formal education compared to the people he will be running against -- a fact his detractors are sure to point out. Though this may lessen some people’s view of him, his apparent pride on the subject (his debut album is titled "The College Dropout") may be able to put a positive spin on it.

Unfortunately for him, Kanye West will most likely be held accountable for what he says in his songs. Statements like “Fuck the police, that’s how I treat ‘em” and “My apologies, are you into astrology/Cause I’m tryin’ to make it to Uranus” may cause many voters to consider him an inappropriate choice to lead the United States of America.

In terms of fiscal matters, Kanye West has not shown himself to be the most responsible of candidates, declaring bankruptcy in early 2016. The rapper admitted over Twitter that he was in fact $53 million dollars in debt, a shock to many who became accustomed to seeing him enjoy an incredibly lavish lifestyle. Unfortunately, West’s problem-solving skills were not on display either: His attempts to remedy his financial situation included asking wealthy celebrities such as Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg to simply give him the money. On the plus side, it seems the voters will not be faced with another candidate who refuses to share his tax returns, as Mr. West shares his financial situation with the world even when it does not ask.

In conclusion, Kanye West does not have many of the typical qualities or credentials Americans have been known to look for in a leader. But, now is not a typical time in our country, and this election has proved that. Kanye West should not be considered as a viable option for this nation’s president. But will he be considered? After this election, I truly believe anything is possible.