Just Because I Have A Learning Disability Does Not Mean I Can't Get Good Grades

Living with a learning disability is tough but I don't let that take the best of me!

248
Michael Havens

Not many people know this about me, only some of my close friends and my family know. Back in elementary school, I was told I had a speech impediment and CAPD which is Central Auditory Processing Disorder. "CAPD" is Central Auditory Processing Disorder, individuals with Auditory Processing Disorder (APD) do not recognize subtle differences between sounds in words, even when the sounds are loud and clear enough to be heard. They can also find it difficult to tell where sounds are coming from, to make sense of the order of sounds, or to block out competing background noises. Thus, when I got diagnosed with that life for me with schooling was tough.

People automatically think that if you have a learning disability, you cannot do much or you are not smart. Well honestly that is not the truth. I may have been put into collaborative classes and have one to two teachers in my classes for my learning issue I had, but there were many other kids my age having either the same learning issue as me or a different one. I may have been given extra help in class or for projects and given extra time for tests, quizzes, and exams but that was just so I could get things done on time and so I would not be slowing down the class or slowing down myself. All the help I was given helped me pass all of my classes and helped me get into the next grade. In addition, many people think that if you have a learning disability that its impossible to get good grades and earn a 3.0-4.0 GPA. Well, guys, that is not the truth.

In first and second grade I got mostly A's, B's, and some C's, In elementary school which was third grade to sixth grade, I again got mostly A's, B's, and C's. There was a time I got a D in fourth-grade math, but that was not my fault I was going through a rough time and was going through a lot. Therefore, when I got into Junior High in seventh and eighth grade I again got A's, B's,and C's. Those grades followed me into my high school year every year into senior year.

Okay, so I may not have been great at studying because my CAPD got to me. For tests, quizzes,exams,and writing assignments it took me a lot longer to do. I was never great at studying, when I got my grades back from tests, quizzes, and exams most of the time they were good; yet, if the class was history or English, I knew I was going to expect a low grade as though were the tougher subjects for me to get good grades in. However, my hard work and determination helped me to get good grades in my classes. I also did a lot of extra work and put all my effort into my classes which help me pass and graduate highschool. When I did presentations in my class I always did great and put my hard work into my presentation. I always practice my presentations, so I would be ready for them. All of my teachers were proud of me and always knew I was the hard worker in the class.

Now, I never took those AP classes or those Honors classes in my schooling career. I always had taken college prep classes in my jr/sr highschool career.

From my perspective, people who were in those AP classes, as well as honors were the smart ones. Well, in my eyes, you cannot say that! Each and every person is smart in their own way. Also just because they were in a higher end class just meant they needed some harder classes as they could easily get a great grade in those college prep classes.

Despite my learning issue, there was a couple of times in my schooling career that I made Honor Roll. I also won some awards mostly in my math and science classes during my junior high and high school career. That was from doing well in my classes and putting my hard work in those classes during my jr high and high school career.

As a result, since I am now in college and already been through two semesters of college and now on my third semester and taking four classes again like I did the last two semesters. I can finally say just because I have a learning disability, it doesn't mean anything it just means I need extra time and extra help in my college courses. I do get offered help and services but that's just so I can be just as successful as the average college student. Also, I do get great grades like A's, B's, and some C's but I only got one C with in my college career. Since my career I want to go into which is Radiography (x-ray technician), I must get straight A's, maybe a B in one class but I have to get straight A's to help me get into my career program at college. I know it will be hard to get those grades and I know this semester will be hard and stressful to get straight A's but I am not letting anyone or my grades bring me down. I know if I put in my hard work and effort in and get help when needed I can get those grades and get to my goal which is straight A's. I am not letting my disability take the best of me and I am not letting anyone tell me I can't get to my dream.

My family, friends, and my old teachers from elementary & junior-senior high school always told me to push to my dreams, be a hard worker, and don't let the negative people tear you down. Even though something can be tough it does not mean you can not do it. With hard work and putting my mind forth in a positive view I know I can achieve my dream of being a x-ray technician. Also if that does not happen then I won't worry because there are many other careers in the medical field that I can become. Overall, I am not going to give up and I am not letting this learning disability take out the worst in me with a little bit of extra help and my extra hard work I can do whatever I want and become what ever I want. I am not letting anyone tear me down with my learning disability.

To conclude just because I have a learning disability and speech impediment doesn't mean anything it just means I need to put more hard work into my classes and get the necessary help from my professors and to do a lot more studying, also to keep myself happy and to stay positive. Lastly, with the help of my friends and family, they have pushed me to be a harder worker and to never give up! They told me my dreams can become my reality as long as I strive to get good grades and to be successful in college.