The Joy Of Subletting In NYC

The Joy Of Subletting In NYC

As told by "Don't Trust The B---- in Apartment 23."

34
The Joy Of Subletting In NYC

Don’t you just love waking up in the morning knowing that you no longer have to abide by the rules of your parents or campus housing? I do! It’s also an even greater feeling when you’re just 45 minutes away from downtown Manhattan. I’ve been obsessing over this feeling for the past couple of months. Ever since I made the decision to completely move out and disregard campus housing altogether, I couldn’t be happier. When living at the Towers at CCNY, I hated the fact that I had to share a room with someone. I wanted to get the “college” experience, even though I attend a commuter school. In the end, I wasn’t satisfied with my room arrangements, the rules and regulations set by campus housing, and, in all honesty, my roommates!

In the apartment I sublet now, I’m still in walking distance to my campus. Living a few short minutes away from school isn’t so bad; there sure is one negative. By that, I simply mean overestimating the time I have to get ready for school and eventually being late every day. There’s something about living closer to where you’re expected to be on a daily basis that makes me tardy, even though I live 10 minutes away. Besides that, I can’t complain. I live in the heart of Harlem, and if I ever want to take a trip to the Lower East Side, all I have to do is hop on the train.

It sickens me just how convenient everything is or has become, but I simply love it. Living on your own in the city can seem overwhelming at first, but once you start to take advantage of all the opportunities that are literally outside your door, it’s magical! Unfortunately, not everything about living with strangers is always magical.

Now don’t get the wrong idea—I love my roommates, but there are some cons to subletting a “shared” apartment in the city. Similar to living at home or in a dormitory, you have to abide by set rules. Fortunately, they are rules that you come to an agreement on with your roommates. That’s not such a big deal because you’re all making the arrangements on the living space. When living with someone for a long period of time, you start to realize the things they do, especially the ones that annoy the hell out of you.

They become peevish and infuriating, and there’s really nothing you can do. Thankfully you can always close the door to your room, and there won’t be anyone in there except you!

It’s true that living on your own can be satisfying to the taste and has a certain ring to it. You may even hit the jackpot if you live in a rural area in New York City. Once you’ve experienced living on your own with roommates and having to take responsibilities like paying bills, it might seem tactical in the beginning, but nothing beats making your own decisions and living by your own rules.