10 Signs You're A Jersey Girl With Philly Blood

Raised by the beach with some city background...

161
WallpaperCave

Being raised at the Jersey Shore doesn't mean I'm all that Jersey. I have a huge family on my dad's side, and that side consists of street smart cousins and tough aunts and uncles.

This is a bit different to read about, but this is actually what it's like being a Jersey girl with Philly blood. Consider this humorous.

1. Having this mixed accent you don't really take notice of at first.

Not only am I from South Jersey, I have a little bit of a Kensington and Port Richmond accent. Believe it or not. People at college tell me that being raised down near the most southern point comes with a catchy tone, with a little taste of Philly mixed in. I pronounce certain words differently, and I never can tell.

2. Getting excited about going to Reading Terminal Market for lunch.

Oh boy, I love this one! For those of you who don't know, Reading Terminal Market is a big food spot that takes up a whole block in Center City Philadelphia, across the street from the PA Convention Center. There are 30 restaurants packed in that place, along with some bakeries and deli counters. If you know Philly, you learn to love going to this place to grab a bite to eat after the Philly Auto Show or the Philly Flower Show, despite how crowded it is inside. You learn to push through the herds to get what you want.

3. The Franklin Institute gets you hype, even as an adult.

Taking a journey through the Big Heart and visiting the Sports room are only a few activities you can do at the Franklin Institute. It's always been a childhood favorite; and now that I'm 19, I think I enjoy it more.

4. Well, come on. An entire visit to Philly gets you hype.

It really does. There's just something about the city. It's like a home away from home, yet I wouldn't want to live there. It's more of a love-hate relationship, at least for me.

5. Knowing the major roads and bridges like the back of your hand.

I've got Walt and Ben tracked down and memorized. I-95 is chaos, and I-76 and I-476 are both nightmares. If you go to Philly often, you know which highways to avoid or travel on.

6. You're some type of "street smart".

Not really, but I can tell right from wrong. I know what to do in certain situations, meaning I can get by with my street knowledge. ;)

7. You love being in PA, but you don't like when PA comes to NJ.

I'm talking about the summer! The shoobies are terrible. Of course I love going to Philly, but I hate it when Philly comes to me. Don't get me started, but you know what I mean.

8. Chickie's & Pete's crab fries and Stock's pound cake are your "go-tos" while you're driving through town.

Yes, crab fries are a real thing. Yes, they are to die for. Grab some Chickie's & Pete's during your visit to South Philly. For dessert, munch on some pound cake from Stock's Bakery if you're passing by Kensington and Port Richmond. I never regret it. In my family, it's actually a tradition to buy a lot of it and freeze what we don't use so we have some for the future. We have it for our parties, too.

9. You're a die-hard Philly sports fan.

Broad Street is your alternate address. You hate the Dallas and New England football teams, but you also appreciate the teams that beat them. You eat, sleep, and breathe Philly. You worship the Eagles, Phillies, Sixers, and Flyers, no matter how deep they are in their losing streaks.

10. You don't take any crap.

Having a little bit of Philly in you is an honor, because you're not scared to take anything from anybody. Just because I'm from Jersey doesn't mean I'm not tough. However, it is an advantage to having that Philly blood. That's how we do it.