James Comey's Senate Hearing: What You Need To Know

I Hate Politicians, But Love Politics

11
Time

Well the day that every person in this country has waited for, James Comey's Senate hearing. Many things came out from this and many questions were asked. Let's dive into these facts stated today, what this means, and also why this hearing is so important.

First thing first, Comey did not read fully the opening statement he released last night. You can click here to read his statement. He knew that in his ten year term as FBI director he could be fired by the President at any time for any reason or no reason at all, and that he served at the pleasure of the president. Comey stated, "The shifting reasons confused me and concerns me". He served about four years as FBI director before he was fired. According to Comey, he said that Trump told him on several occasions that he was doing a great job and that Trump was excited to work with him. Comey planned to continuing his ten year term. In his opening statement he also talked about how he learned from the media that President Trump was telling other partied that the firing took a weight off his shoulder from the Russia investigation. He discuses how the Trump administration lied about many things in regards to Comey and "most importantly", as Comey stated, the FBI, in which he then basically apologist the FBI and American people that they had to hear those lies. He talks about the FBI will do fine without him, how although the white house had tried to defame him, that he is confident that the FBI is independent and can get the job done. He then had a message for the American people and his coworkers in the FBI. To America he said; "The FBI is honest, the FBI is strong, the FBI is and always will be independent." to the FBI he stated; "I am so sorry that I didn't get a chance to say goodbye properly... it was the honor for my life to serve... Thank you for doing so much good for this country".

After these opening statements, questions from the committee started to take place. Each senator on the committee had seven minutes to ask a question and talk directly to Comey. Here are somethings that came out of this section:

- A lot more questions will be asked in the classified hearing. Comey said numerous times that he cannot state an answer in an open setting.

-No edits were made to his testimony by any council.

-James Comey has no doubts that Russia was involved with the 2016 election though, no votes were changed by Russia.

-To Comey's understanding, Trump never asked him to stop the Russia investigation.

-He would not change anything about the Clinton email investigation, as it was the best call for the country

-Comey's felt extremely disturbed with the talked Trump had with him regarding Micheal Flynn and the investigation into him.

-He decided to take notes and write those memos because he thought Trump might lie about those meetings. This was because the "nature of the person I was interacting with," he stated as well as the gut feeling he had. He believed something big was about to happen and therefore he has to keep notes.

-He was never asked to let the investigation go, but instead was told that Trump hoped he would drop the investigation. Comey took this as a direction. A direction that he ignored.

-The President himself was not under investigation.

-The president asked him to take a Loyalty pledge, instead Comey promised to be Honestly Loyal.

-He didn't tell Trump to stop the conversations about Flynn because he was so shocked. He said maybe if he was stronger he would have.

-"Lordy, I hope their are tapes" - Comey in regards to Trump's claims of recordings of their conversations. He would like them to be released if they in fact exist.

- He asked Jeff Sessions to never leave him alone with Trump again, and requested he always be present when they meet. Sessions did not verbally respond.

-The senate was very focus on the facts that many things were leaked about this investigation, but not the fact that the President was not under investigation.

-"I will see what I can do" was said by Comey to get out of the uncomfortable situation.

-Senate really pushed him on the fact that he didn't tell Trump he was acting inappropriately.

-Comey leaked his memo after the Trump tweet stating tapes exist through a friend who was a professor at Columbia in hopes a special prosecutor would be appointed. Didn't leak it himself as he did not want to be harassed by the media.

-Comey saw his memos as his personal possessions, as long as they were not classified.

-Fake news about the Russia interference does exist, and he cannot correct them or release a statement because the information is classified

-The Russian interference in the election is not a party issue. It is an American issue. Putin is not a republican, he is an opportunist. Something must be done because this will not be the last time Russia tried to interfere with American politics.

-No one tells Americans what to think, how to act, or how to vote. Russia attempted to influence this election greatly.

So, that's a lot. Here is what I think:

-A lot of questions were repeated which was annoying.

-A loyalty pledge sounds strangely cult like and I personally am still confused on what it is and what is a honest loyalty pledge.

-Everyone saying Comey should have said something is just not fair. It is easy to look back on what happened and say you would have liked to done things differently. Hindsight is 20/20, and to sit there and tell him "You could have said..." is unfair to him and his process.

-He did leak the memo, technically he had the right to do this. That being said it is understandable that people are worried. But at the same time, he did not leak everything that was leaked. He cannot control every leak. Therefore, he cannot control the fact that many things were leaked except that Trump was not under investigation.

- I think everyone now needs a shirt that says "Lordy, I hope there are tapes".

-The fact this is a very bipartisan issue is very telling about how important it is.

-James Comey is going to be fine and do great in the private sector

So, now, somethings to take away;

-Thus far, there is no smoking gun. Nothing was said that makes Trump impeachable now.

-That being said, that doesn't mean Trump didn't do anything inappropriate of sketch

-Comey was very very honest, but at the same time very careful with his wording. If you didn't watch, take the time out to watch a bit. Everything he said was very well thought out.

-Comey isn't perfect, he is human and had human reactions to all of this. Sometimes things shock you and confuse you and you don't know how to act. People say things that throw you off and that you keep to yourself because it seems so unreal. I know it has happen to me. Imagining having that experience with the leader of the free world is terrifying. And although he was the leader of the FBI, he is also human.

-Someone should talk to John McCain and make sure he is okay.

For now, the investigation will continue in the senate and by the special prosecutor. But one thing can be said, this moment will be in history textbooks in the future.