Jack Pearson Represents America's Most Loved Father

"I love you as much as a human heart can love."

187
NBC Universal

Spoiler ahead

DISCLAIMER: Milo Ventimiglia is my favorite actor. Please continue to share my article with the hope of Milo reading it!

NBC's hit television drama "This Is Us," starring Milo Ventimiglia and Mandy Moore has been one of the most talked about shows the weeks leading up to a climatic series of events. Tuesday, January 30th, viewers were shocked when the Pearson home caught on fire on Super Bowl Sunday, the family's favorite day of the year.

Writer Dan Fogelman let his audience in on the preview of America's favorite dad's death. 2018's Super Bowl Sunday not only shocked football fans with the outcome of the Eagles-Patriots game, but the unexpected and emotional death of Jack Pearson.

While Ventimiglia's character, Jack is physically not in the present form of the show, his character continues to follow the paths of Rebecca, Kevin, Kate, and Randall. Much like Jack's character who displays courage, love, selflessness and continually proves to be fearless, I see those same characteristics of which my grandfather embodied.

Every episode leaves me in awe with the phenomenal acting by all cast members, the screenwriting, and the relatability to audience members. You will never NOT find me crying about what I consider my favorite show on TV.

Below are just some of my favorite quotes by Jack's character that continue to leave a permanent spot in my heart:

1. "I love the mother that you are. I love that you are still the most beautiful woman in any room and that you laugh with your entire face. I love that you dance funny, not sexy, which makes it even sexier, but most of all, I love that you are still the same woman who all those years ago ran out of a blind date because she simply had to sing. You're not just my great love story, Rebecca, you are my big break. And our love story? I know it may not feel like it right now, baby, but I promise you, it's just getting started."

Every time I hear or read these lines, I get just as emotional. Before I finished writing this article, I watched this scene and once again, bawled my eyes out. The tremendous love Jack has for Rebecca is clearly evident and is truly one of a kind, making his character that much more lovable.

2. "I love the girl who loves the dog."

As a father of triplets, Jack loved each and everyone of his children, Kevin, Kate, and Randall, equally. In the episode, "Super Bowl Sunday," Jack's heroic actions to save the family dog, whom Kate adored, ultimately cost him his life. Moments before his unexpected passing, the doctor explained to Jack the damage the fire caused to his body. The doctor remarks, "You must really love that dog" Jack responds, “I love the girl who loves the dog." Jack Pearson highlights what it means to be a father by sacrificing himself for his daughter.

3. "I'm gonna need everyone in this room to believe that only good things are going to happen today. Actually, I need everyone to know it."

Despite Jack's death, the optimism and life he brought to everyone he encountered was obvious. Jack never saw anything negatively, he took some of the sourest lemons and made them into something resembling lemonade.

4. "I love you as much as a human heart can love."

Despite at times having a tough exterior, Jack was an emotional person. He cried, he broke down, he was and is human. His ability to be vulnerable and love the way he did proves him to be a remarkable and unique man.

Jack Pearson is the epitome of what it means to be a father and despite his physical presence missing from the show, through the flashbacks, to his advice, his character remains in the hearts of his family, and the 'This Is Us' fan base.