Jack Eichel: The Man, The Myth, The BU Dining Hall Legend

Is he off to the NHL or will you still catch glimpses of him on campus next semester?

19

As a native Buffalonian, Jack Eichel has been following me around for awhile. Literally. Even after leaving BU for the summer, he's everywhere: the cover of the USA Hockey on my kitchencounter, my favorite radio station, shirts in the mall proclaiming "I like Eich," even interrupting my Hockey Night in Canada to be interviewed by Don Cherry. I feel like I'm being stalked. But the personal victimization I felt over him yelling "I'm coming for you Buffalo!" after chugging out of the Beanpot trophy didn't stop me from turning in to the NHL Draft on Friday.

Not only is Eichel everywhere in Buffalo, but he's everywhere nationally as well. Even if you don't like hockey I'm sure you've heard his name thrown around the dining hall (probably whispered because he and the rest of the team are currently at that oval table right in the middle stacking dim sum bowls ceiling high). Now take in to consideration the attention Eichel has received compared to the number one draft pick, Canadian Connor McDavid. To make an analogy for all you non hockey fans, McDavid was like the announcement of Kim Kardashian's second pregnancy and then BAM Beyonce posts a picture on Instagram buried in sand with a pregnant belly sculpted over her and wait...sorry who's Kim Kardashian again?

So now the draft is over, poor McDavid will go to Edmonton (the city of broken dreams and number one draft picks) and Eichel has a big decision to make: come back to BU or move on out to my neck of the woods?

Come on, Jacky boy! This is not that hard of a decision! Yes, Buffalo may not be the best team in the league and it smells like cheerios but don't tell me you would rather come back to BU and spend another year in CGS wasting away your true potential! You gave me one of the best years of my life, Jack. We had a great time together! You won me a Beanpot, the Hobey Baker Award and took me to finals of the NCAA Championships. Hockey East scoring champion, Player of the Year, Rookie of the Year, First Team Hockey East, member of the All-Rookie Team, MVP of the conference tournament. Honestly, Eichel you're just showing off.

So yeah, Jack Eichel might only be 19 but he's ready for the NHL. Look at all the other players who started their careers fresh off of the draft and barely legal: Wayne Gretzky, Sidney Crosby, Mario Lemieux, and Boston's own Bobby Orr. You're never too young to live out your dream. (The money doesn't hurt either. While BU drowns me further and further in debt, Eichel will be floating on a raft made of an NHL superstar's salary and endorsements galore.)

I hope you make the right decision Jack. It will make my mom really happy and my cousin's will finally get off my back about asking you for your autograph.