It's Time To Stop Using "KMS"

It's Time To Stop Using "KMS"

Saying "kill myself" as a result of your internet not working is not funny or relatable.

1283
It's Time To Stop Using "KMS"
Twitter

Several internet slang words have came and gone throughout the past several years. From "selfie," "bae," "finna," "fam," "irl," to the classic "lol," we've all seen them. Sometimes these terms even inspire hit EDM songs! However, there are also terms that are extremely offensive to several people. One term in particular that angers me when I see it on my social media feed is the acronym "KMS."

Some may ask, "What does KMS even mean?" Well my friends, it means, "kill myself." No, you read that correctly. The widely popular term that numerous teens and young adults are using on the internet today actually insinuates that person wants to commit suicide. Here are some examples of the acronym being posted on Twitter:

Basically, these posts are saying:

"Internet's not working? Time to kill myself!"

"Slow walkers in the hallway at school? Killing myself seems appropriate!"

"One Direction giving you all of the feels? Committing suicide is the only way to get over it!"

I understand that these people are not actually saying they want to commit suicide, and I understand that they may think this is just a simple and innocent internet trend. However, I strongly disagree them.

When I was a sophomore in high school, I lost my older brother to suicide. My brother was not a person that anyone would have suspected to make such a drastically tragic decision. Ever since that day, myself, my family, and my brother's friends have lived a completely different life than any of us could have imagined. Our once lively worlds had been turned completely upside down and we were left with nothing but emptiness and grief. There was absolutely nothing casual about our situation, and there never will be.

According to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the United States. Every year 42,773 people die because they took their own lives, and for every one suicide, 25 others are attempting but not succeeding. On average, that's 117 suicides every day. Let me repeat that: 117 people are taking their own lives every single day. 117 families are planning funerals for their loved ones daily, and that's only in the United States of America.

These numbers are terrifyingly shocking, so please tell me why the term "kms" is still being casually used all over the internet. Mine and so many others' pain is not to be used to sound "cool" and "relatable" on the internet. So many people have worked way too hard to make the nation aware of the extreme dangers of depression and suicide, and it's all being ruined with a silly internet fad. Suicide is an extremely serious topic that should not be taken as lightly as it is taken today.

Please, the next time you think of posting the term, "kms" to sound relatable or because you're stressed, think of all of the pain and suffering those words may have caused others. Viewing suicide as a casual internet joke is not an excuse for the pain you may bring someone else. I promise you that anytime anyone that has been affected by suicide sees you post "kms" as a Facebook status or Twitter update will instantly think of their loved one or situation, and it will bring them back to the pain that they've experienced.

At least this girl gets it. Please, think before you post.