It's Time To Put An End To Animal Testing In Cosmetics

Beauty isn't this kind of pain.

24

As many may know, different types of animals are used to test things such as cosmetics. Usually, people suspect that the animal tested consist of just rats and mice or other rodents. However, there is much more to it. While "just" rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, rats and mice are tested in cosmetics, other animals, even including those such as dogs and cats are used to be tested on other products. These don't just include cosmetics, but also consist of products such as cleaning chemicals, hair care and self-care products we use every day. This is all in addition to the already well- known cosmetic use of testing.

Just alone with cosmetics, somewhere between one and two hundred thousand animals die every year, not to mention the number that don't die, but rather suffer. As I'm sure many of you know, the testing performed on these animals introduces burns, blisters and other flesh injuries that not only bring harm to the animals that have them, but aren't properly treated for them, given that they're being used as test subjects rather than actual animals.

I don't want to present a bunch of statistics to support this idea which I think is very clear, especially given the year we're living in today. Being completely forward, testing on animals is just wrong. Whether or not there are alternatives to animal testing- which there are- it is a completely inhumane act to begin with. Figuring out if a chemical in makeup or a cleaning product will physically burn your skin by pouring it on animals and checking to see how hurt they are isn't worth the outcome of the end product. Everyone says "beauty is pain," but is any level of beauty really worth the pain these animals have to go through for it? This doesn't even begin to mention the fact that there are much more humane alternatives that we can use today.

Computer modeling nowadays has such advanced technology, it can actually help predict how biology, such as the human body will react to drugs and the combination of chemicals, such as those in these products that are being so harshly tested on animals. In addition, there are even more advanced biological tests we can use. There is a newer technology called "In Vitro Testing'" in which cell-based tissues have been grown, resembling that of organs of the human body and are offered as a very useful alternative to animal testing.

Bringing harm to animals through the testing of human products on them is both inhumane and unnecessary. With both having the wide span of alternatives we have today, in addition to the unnecessary and heartbreaking harm that is brought to these creatures every day. In my opinion, there is no way around it. Animal testing needs to stop.