9 Ingredients You Didn't Know Are In Makeup

I'm putting WHAT on my face?!
485

What if somebody asked you to spread bull urine or human sperm on your face? According to Oddee.com, ingredients such as parasitic beetles are used in lower-end makeup and other cosmetic products. Makeup doesn’t just sit on the top layer of your skin, but instead is absorbed through the epidermis, eventually allowing these numerous unconventional ingredients into your bloodstream—wreaking havoc. Ladies, check your makeup containers and see how many of these ingredients you’re wearing.

1. Roadkill (Tallow)

Tallow is a common ingredient in cosmetics including Dove Indulgent Nourishment Body Lotion. Tallow is derived from animal fat that is boiled into a fat byproduct. The dead animals come from a number of places including: slaughterhouses, expired grocery store meat, and road kill. Tallow is commonly known as Stearic Acid, so vegans and organic ingredient enthusiasts beware.

2. Lead

Video Here

Lead is commonly used in lipstick brands such as Christian Dior and Chanel. A recent study testing 32 different brands of lipstick found 68 percent of these brands exceeded the acceptable daily intake of lead within the whole container. Now, nobody is saying that people are taking huge bites out of lipstick, but the study also found that the average lipstick wearer ingests 24 milligrams of lipstick per day.

3. Infant Foreskin

TNS Recovery Complex by SkinMedica claim to use human foreskin (human fibroblast) as an anti-aging “revolution.” Fibroblasts are cells that serve as the structural framework for animal cells and are used specifically in the healing, stretching, growing, and “hardening” of male genital.

4. Parabens

Used in perfume as a preservative, parabens are also found in 75 percent of other makeup. “Parabens have been found in breast cancer tumors and can contribute to hormone imbalance in females. Clients come into Sephora accustomed to drug store brands and are unaware of the harmful ingredients,” Melania Plasko, Operations Consultant at Sephora in Ann Arbor, Mich. says.

5. Bull Sperm

Bull sperm is used in hair shampoo and conditioner for super shiny hair. Salons in Europe are using this protein rich product mixed with katira plant root extract and applying it to their clients' head. Could you at least buy the bull dinner, first?

6. Urea

If you are familiar with animal biology, urea is the breakdown of amino acids in the form of ammonia and carbon dioxide—or pee. Most mammals, including humans are very family with this type of waste, but did you know that urea also makes a wonderful skin moisturizer.

7. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate

Video Here

Although not as gross as sperm or urine, sodium lauryl sulfate is found in 90 percent of cosmetic products that foam. SLS can also be found in engine degreasers and has a similar effect on your skin as it does an engine. SLS can strip away all essential oils from your skin that provide moisture and protect from outside elements. Once the oil is gone—it’s gone for good. SLS is also linked to endocrine system disruption and respiratory problems.

8. FD&C Color Pigments

These federally regulated pigments (yes, the government says to use them) are found in almost every cosmetic item—basically, anything that has an unnatural pigmentation contains FD&C color pigments. These pigments are highly toxic and carcinogenic and deposit toxins onto the skin from metal salts. Color pigments are also in many artificially colored foods and drinks better known as “Red Lake No. 40.”

9. Fish Scales

Have you ever read the words “natural pearl essence” on a bottle of nail polish? Sorry to burst your pearl fantasy, but that essence actually comes from fish scales. Fish scales, also known as guanine shows up on makeup labels as “CI75170.” Maybelline is one of the top makeup producers who use fish scales to add an iridescent shine to an otherwise dull lacquer polish.