It's Time for Liberals to Step Up

It's Time for Liberals to Step Up

The time for anger and fear is over, time to get to work
9

The 2016 election result was scary to many liberals and the reaction has ranged from depression to fury. Despite the results, the time has come for liberals to suck it up and get back to work. People that are scared, remember that this is still a government run by the people. Liberals need to keep this in mind and be proactive.

To Democrats in Government: Because the Republicans control the House and Senate, the Democrats need to stand strong and be a true opposition party. The new Democratic Minority leaders for the House and Senate need to learn from recent history to be a successful opposition party. In 2009, Obama took office with a Democratic House and Senate, but the Republicans in Congress effectively blocked and attacked Obama's policies. The Democrats need to the same to keep Trump in check. There are protections, especially in the Senate, that give a lot of power to the minority party. For example, the Republicans need 60 votes to approve a judicial appointment. There will be at most 52 Republicans and 2 Independents (one who leans right, one who leans left). This means that at least 7 Senators need to flip to allow Trump to get his way. Democrats should take advantage of these protections like the Republicans did from 2009-2011

To Democrats who voted: Don't be discouraged, don't leave the country, and don't stop voting. Democrats need to call for changes in the DNC to purge the people who failed so miserably in this election and refocus the party on a truly liberal agenda. Call you're representatives and urge them to vote in the best interest of all americans. Donate money to Planned Parenthood, Amnesty International, and other charities. Don't stop exposing flaws in our society that hold minorities back. Don't stop protecting the environment. Someone has to. And most importantly, do not vilify, marginalize, or underestimate your opposition. Although some Trump supporters are misogynists, xenophobes, and racists, not all are. In fact, many people who voted for President Obama in 2008 and 2012 voted for Trump. They are not all radicals, they are just fed up with the establishment. Don't alienate these people, do not sell these people short, we are all Americans and an open dialogue is the beauty of our democracy.

To Democrats who didn't vote: Don't complain you didn't vote.

To Everyone: We will be ok. Take a deep breath and don't freak out, especially on your fellow Americans. Treat everyone with respect and let's get down to business.