5 Benefits Of Being Single During The Christmas Season

Because you don't need anyone but yourself.

1365

It's cuffing season, y'all. Everyone knows it and everyone is searching for their significant other, just in time for the New Years kiss and the cute, couple pictures when the spring-time rolls around.

I'm no expert on relationships; I've never made one last for more than six months, BUT, I can say that I am an expert on being single. It's sort of a personal talent, and I mean that in the best way possible.

Like I was saying, as someone who has not had a significant other for only one Christmas, I am here to tell you that it is okay to be single. While there are a multitude of reasons why being single is the best feeling in the world, I decided to give you a few to maybe make you feel better about being single this season:

1. Drama doesn't exist.

The only drama you have to exist in is the drama between you and your friend group about where you're going to go for dinner. Other than that, you don't have anything to worry about in terms of relationship drama. No one's asking to see your phone, telling you who you can and can not talk to, or yelling at you for checking someone out in a store (which has happened to me, but I mean, he was cute).

2. You don't feel trapped.

Feeling trapped in a relationship is the worst feeling in the world. It is something that is hard to shake and makes you feel like your significant other is nothing but an obligation. The only person that you should feel trapped to is yourself or your parents. Feeling like you have to be with someone is a sure-sign that you shouldn't have anything to do with them. Trust me.

3. You are your own person and you do not have to answer to anyone.

If you want to go out for New Years or come home late on a weekend, you do not have to have anyone in your ear telling you they want to go home or that they don't want to leave when you do. You can dance on that really cute guy from one of your classes, or go home at 11 o'clock at night or 5 AM; no one can stop you. Live your life and don't explain yourself to anyone.

4. Focus on yourself.

Being able to focus on yourself as a single person is something to behold and cherish. This gives you so much time to not only better yourself as a person, but focus on the things that you really want in your next relationship. You can have that mental master-list of everything you are looking for in a person and this gives you hell'a time to go find that person.

5. Remember: you are good enough for you, and that is what matters.

It's okay to be alone. You are not any lesser of a person because of it. I honestly believe that you do not have to be good enough for someone, and you can not be until you are good enough for yourself. In the words of the beautiful, badass Ru Paul:

So, in the simplest terms possible, screw having a relationship and go focus on yourself. Go home for Christmas and work on bettering yourself as a person and go from there. Be happy. Be yourself. Tell your mom you love her, and make yourself a hot chocolate. You'll be fine.

Besides, if you really want a relationship, there's always next season.