13 Reasons I Choose To Not Date The Random Frat Boy And Avoid Commitment In College

Just in case the pressure becomes too much to handle, here's a reminder from a single and happy gal

53
Emma Kindsvatter

Relationships can be an extremely tricky subject to tackle, whether writing about it, reading about it, or experiencing it yourself. As a college student especially, I feel extremely pressured to take part in many aspects of relationships, whether that be casually dating, committed relationships, or even just sex itself. Some people perceive others that avoid relationships as prudes, or people who can't find someone to like them.

While some people do fit that stereotype, most people have other things occupying them, to the point where dating a boyfriend doesn't even fit in a sliver of the schedule.

Here are some of my top reasons of why I choose to remain single in college, and how I avoid all the pressures surrounding me to go out with that random nameless frat boy I met last Friday.

1. My schedule is too full for a boyfriend.

As most college students know, we are all trying to tackle many aspects of our life. With my school workload, along with trying to maintain a social life with my friends, I don't have any time to commit to a relationship.

2. Tinder becomes a hilarious source of entertainment.

Have you ever seen a boy who blatantly puts in his bio, "I have a girlfriend, but looking for some side action"? Download Tinder.

3. You get to discover who you are—all by yourself.

Not having a boyfriend or romantic partner in your life frees up some of your "me" time, allowing you to find out things about yourself you didn't know before.

4. Your happiness is your own.

Relating back to number three, you make your own happiness, and it no longer depends on what anyone else says about you.

5. No "friend that is a boy" drama.

I have had countless people assume that if I have a friend that's a guy, we're automatically seeing each other romantically. In a relationship, this can come with many accusations and problems.

6. You can have as many girl nights as your heart desires.

This one should be self explanatory...

7. College is the perfect time to crush on someone, and then crush on someone else, and then crush on someone else again.

College is a time to find out who you are, and what you like. Test the waters and see what you truly like in a guy!

8. There's nothing holding you back from doing whatever the hell you want.

You are not tied down to anything when you're single, nothing to factor in before you do something, so go out and celebrate being free!

9. You'll know how to handle being single after a relationship.

If you did it once and you loved it, you sure as hell can do it again!

10. The bed is ALL YOURS.

Whether you sleep in a king or a tiny twin, sprawl out and know that space is all yours for however long you want it.

11. Your confidence will skyrocket.

You don't need a relationship to know how amazing you are! Being single will teach you how to be confident in your own skin.

12. The right person will come into your life when it is the right time.

You cannot force love onto anyone, so let everything happen, and take it all with a grain of salt.

13. The future—your dreams, goals, and aspirations—are all yours to focus on.

You have all the time in the world to focus on exactly who you want to be. Get out there, become a doctor, or a teacher, or a model, or whatever you want to be, and do it knowing you are an independent, beautiful person!

These are some of the main reasons I choose to stay single throughout my college years. While I do still have a lot of respect for people who maintain committed relationships in college, I'm taking this time to focus on me, and I am absolutely in love with the paths I've tread so far.