It's OK To Not Know

It's OK To Not Know

Whatever you do, never give up.

11
It's OK To Not Know

For me, it is my third week here at college. Just like any other college senior, I'm feeling overwhelmed post syllabus week. Knowing what is expected of me this upcoming semester can be very stressful. What is even more stressful though is not having a game plan after graduation.

A few days back my professor had each student in the room discuss what job they are looking to pursue after graduation. As communication majors, we have a wide variety of options to choose from. We aren't nursing or education majors; We haven't chosen a specific path. I'm still pretty young but I could see myself doing a number of different jobs in this field of work. A wave of mixed emotions came over our classroom that afternoon. Luckily for me, I had recently finished up an internship in which I could see myself doing later on. However, for some of my classmates, a look of panic was expressed.

The first few people had something in mind that they could see themselves doing. When we reached a student who was unsure about their career path, you couldn't help but to sympathize. My professor paused the exercise to tell us about her story of life after undergrad. She explained that she took the first job she was offered. She went on to say that she sold insurance for a few years. She was disappointed because to her, selling insurance wasn't ideal. Our professor looked around the room and said "Guys, it is okay to not know."

So for the college students that might be feeling the same way, you aren't alone. Our first jobs might not be glamorous. However, life has an incredible plan for you and you don't even know it. For the students out there with a plan, never get disapointed with yourself if things don't pan out the way you had hoped. This life will take you on amazing journey. It will have ups and downs, twists and turns. You will encounter some roadblocks and walls along the way. Whatever you do, never settle. Always be passionate about your work. Your ambitions will take you further than you ever would have imagined.

By the time we reached the last few students, we were sending our classmates positive and uplifting messages. "You would be great at this" or "Have you considered X, Y, or Z yet?" When we reached the last female student, she looked at us and said, "I'll settle for being the president of the United States of America." Without hesitation, a round of applause was given. I couldn't think of a better way to complete that exercise. As college seniors, we left class that day with a different perspective.