Hey, You, It's OK To Not Have Your Life Together At 20

Stop stressing about the little things and just make yourself happy.

367
Brooke Tominey

If you are reading this right now, you may be experiencing some feelings of self-doubt at the age of 20, or maybe you are simply in your twenties in general, or maybe you are just genuinely feeling like your life is not going the way you thought it would be currently.

Either way, the thought of the future and how everything is unknown can be a very daunting concept. But have no fear, pretty much like everything else in this world, you are not alone in this battle. Feeling like your life is a puzzle that you are constantly trying to piece together does not make you less of a person, especially if you are 20 years old. If anything, it is what makes you normal amongst others.

Of course, thinking about the future and the goals you have set out for yourself can be a very exciting time, too. However, the way society is now can often times cause more stress and anxiety in our lives and adds even more pressure. Just because you may not go to college like it is expected of you doesn't mean that your life is in complete disarray or that you are doing it wrong.

The same goes for if you are working a less than ideal part-time job right now to help you get started on your career path. Everyone is different and just because your life may not be so-called "Instagrammable" 24/7 doesn't mean that you are a failure at life.

In reality, no one has a perfect life all the time and I know for sure no one ever really has their life together 100%, but it's okay to trick people into thinking you do, right? At least that's what I like to do the majority of the time. If you are confident enough, people will believe it even though you may have 100 different scenarios running through your mind all at once.

There are countless times when I overthink my entire life and feel like I should have my life figured out, but then I try to remind myself to stay in the present and enjoy all the moments that are happening around me. Of course, some days are better than others, but that goes for everyone regardless of what age you are. Just remember that you and basically every other 20-something out there feel the same way, you are not crazy, trust me.

At the end of the day, everything in your life will work itself out because everything happens for a reason. You will get to where you need to be at some point, but don't expect it to happen overnight. As long as you are happy, that is all that truly matters. So, start embracing and living in the present instead of just focusing on the future so much. Stop stressing about the little things and just make yourself happy. You will be okay and your twenties are just the beginning. You got this.