It's Not A Black Issue, It's An American Issue

We need to start recognizing there is a problem.

17
Joshua Lott

On July 7, 2016 President Obama gave a compelling speech discussing the police shootings that occurred this week, in which one sentence sticks out in my head. He said, "This is not just a black issue, it’s not just a Hispanic issue, this is an American issue." It doesn't sit well in my stomach. For the past three summers I have tried to justify police shootings in any way I could. I tried to justify them because I had more belief in my country. When I heard about Trayvon Martin I tried to think it was just a mistake and will never happen again. But then when all the names came out such as Eric Gardner, Freddie Gray and the long list that goes on, denying it to myself became impossible.

We have a problem. In America, there is an issue with police brutality with citizens, and especially black ones. And the sooner we accept and admit it, the sooner we can fix it. After watching the first video of Alton Sterling, I naturally wanted to deny it happened. I wanted to think the police were in the right place and using their authority in a way that they felt was necessary. But after watching the second video, I felt sick. I felt angry. I was so upset that this even occurred. Right then and there I wanted justice. Already after seeing a minute long video, I knew who was in the wrong. That video was hardly settled in my mind when then the next day I saw the video of Philando Castile. "You have to be kidding," is all I thought. You watch Castile's finance sit next to him while he is bleeding to death and their is a police officer who is still pointing his gun at them when he is already dead. I can't believe I'm watching something of this nature in a place where we are told to look to police when we don't feel safe. But where do we turn when the police are the one's committing the crime? Now I'm not saying this should set a precedent for every police officer you encounter because that wouldn't be fair. The majority of police across the United States follow the rules and rights of the constitution in a justified way and protect citizens. Although, it is accurate to say we have an issue with some police force after seeing numerous videos of civilians forcefully being held down then the next second dead because the officer felt their live was in "danger".

It isn't a black issue, but race does come into play. Being a Caucasian American I try to understand, and I'm sure others do as well with the creation of "All Lives Matter" but really I think it is pretty impossible for us to ever understand. I never think nor worry about being stopped at a traffic stop that I could end up shot, or if I was selling something outside of a store I never think anyone would view me as being "suspicious." For many black Americans that isn't the same for them. They don't have that safety net thought to think back on. This is their reality. Seeing again another person of color being shot who was innocent. I don't want to make it about race, but that is what it comes down to, and it is polarizing our country more and more each day.

Opinions and politics aside, we have a problem in America with police and violence. Something needs to change soon or our country will keep doubting itself, including it's law enforcement. People will have their views on how any of the shootings were just, but in my eyes seeing is believing and I see a problem. We live in an age where we are fortunate to have technology where things like this are documented and the truth is shown. But for sadly, for some that isn't enough.

I hope and pray the people in the country look at this and these incidents and see it as opportunity for improvement. I hope and pray Alton Sterling and Philando Castile's families get the justice they deserve, though the justice will never bring them back. I also hope and pray people will look to love rather than violence and start accepting everyone race and gender aside. I have the confidence these events will open the eyes of Americans and help them realize what is critical to live in a safe and accepting country. And like President Obama said at the end of his speech, we can do better, and I believe we will do better.