The Hard Knocks Of Life

The Hard Knocks Of Life

What's the deal with making things so difficult?

74
The Hard Knocks Of Life

In our lives it often feels like there are two roads we can go down. Once we pick which one, there are stoppages and hindrances that leave us questioning every little thing. To me, I've been wondering why sometimes things feel so difficult. No matter the kind of decision, it just kind of seems like there could have been an easier way. I could've stayed closer to home, chose a less strenuous major, picked a school with all my hometown friends, or just kept everything simple and familiar. All of those options would definitely make my life a lot easier, it seems.

But where's the challenge? Where are the goals too big to fit in my head or the days that stretch my mind from morning to night? There is nothing wrong with trying to accomplish something that is difficult, I mean that's how we evolve and grow. Things are always going to feel hard at some point, no matter what road you go down or how you go about your life. There are a couple of habits though, that we all can quit to make our lives a little easier.

Creating these unrealistic expectations.

We know we're allowed to dream big. We've been told to do this since we were young, looking up to Olympians, actors, and politicians. But our biggest trouble as humans is being able to narrow big huge aspirations to hone in on an equally realistic so and so to aim for. If you plan to get X, Y, Z, A, B, and C done by the end of the week when it should really take four weeks, you're just setting yourself up for disappointment. This constantly leaves you feeling behind, making life feel super hard. You know yourself and your capacity to deal with your daily tasks. Be realistic.

Trying to do everything yourself.

Your problem, your business, right? It's easy to make things hard on yourself by putting everything on your own shoulders without communicating or asking for advice from others. With friends, it is so important to do this because they can either relate or are in the exact same situation. Don't put yourself in a locked room when the person next door could make you feel so much better. It's also good to keep your parents and mentors close in touch. Wisdom can pull you out of any ditch if you get it from the right person. It's 100% okay to ask for help in any capacity and the people in your life are there for that anyway.

Forgetting 'why.'

When things are hectic, sometimes we lose our focus and forget that central purpose. Everything in life is happening for a reason and the hard parts of life are there to get you where you need to be. Amidst stress and challenges, remember what made you decide to do what you're doing right now and why that makes sense for you. If it doesn't mean anything to you, then pick something else that lights your fire.

Deeming it doomed before starting.

To fellow pessimists, give yourself some credit. If you don't start out positive, the process will be miserable and obviously difficult if you decide it will be so. With college, you know it's going to be hard. Whatever you decide to study, it will be a process. You want it to be challenging because you want it to be worth it. Whether you're a freshman or a senior, stick with it and know the changes you make attribute to your success. Don't doubt that.

Playing it safe.

There are risks out there that we obviously need to steer clear from. But taking part in opportunity that comes along is what makes things interesting. Even if something seems like it's too good to be true, pursue it. If you're nervous about change or experiencing something new, test your limits. It's so cheesy to say that life is short, but really, there are these windows of time that exist in which certain opportunities are more plausible which may not be available to you in a different window of time. Give things a shot, it may change your whole perspective.

Losing the love.

The ultimate gift we are given is the opportunity to give and share our hearts and spirits with other people. Trying to be successful in careers, starting families, and acquiring wealth creates this blind between what really matters and what is less important. Rejuvenating love for others every so often needs to be apart of everyone's plan, no matter how.

Life is tough, we all question everything and wonder what's worth it sometimes. The parts of life that are difficult now are that way for a very specific reason that will pay off if you just stick with it. Obviously we forget that all the time and get down on life, but trying to stay away from these bad habits make the hard stuff a little bit easier to deal with.

It's really not so bad!!