It's Going To Hurt

It's Going To Hurt

Stop saying it won't.

14
It's Going To Hurt
ABC News

The election results are in, and they are not good.
Besides the obvious issues (like a lack of understanding of government principles) with our President-Elect and Vice President-Elect, there are some things that are going to hurt more than the others.

As a collective slap in the face to women across the country who have suffered sexual assault, we now have to see a rapist lead our country.

As a collective slap in the face to the LGBTQ community, we now have to see a man who vowed to overturn marriage equality lead our nation, with a man who supports conversion therapy on children at his side.

As a collective slap in the face to the environment, we are going to stop making progress towards green energy. Hint: coal and oil are not reusable resources, what are we going to do when they run out? And Florida, what are you going to do when you're six-feet under water by the next election?

As a collective slap in the face to any racial progress that has been made, a man endorsed by the literal KKK is going to be leading us in a time where race relations are already broken and in need of mending and building understanding.

And as a slap in the face to the people who came here looking for a better life for themselves and their families, they are now fearing for their safety. They are afraid they are going to be forced to leave a land they call home and work hard for everyday, doing the jobs that majority of people don't want to acknoweldge need to be done.

We wanted change, we wanted to make America great for all, we did not want to make America great again because the again only existed for those who have never experienced racial or any kind of oppression.

We've let ourselves down.

As I cried on election night, I asked my mother what was going to happen to my birth control and my reproductive rights? What was going to happen to my friends? What was going to happen to the environment, will my children even have a planet to look after? What is going to happen to marrying whoever you love, no matter who they are?

Time will tell, but in this moment I am thankful for my home in California, we didn't let ourselves down and Kamala Harris has made it clear she is up for the fight.

The fight is not over, the fight has only begun. We cannot reverse what progress we have made. And we must love the people who have the most to lose, we will stand together and get through this.