It Gets Better — Trust Me, I've Been There

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn't.

106

I couldn't picture a future for myself a few years ago.

You never know how strong you are, till being strong is the only choice you have.

That really is a powerful saying. About three years ago, I endured the worst thing I ever imagined. I was around fifteen at the time, and I was depressed, and going through a lot of grief.

I have been reflecting a ton on how proud I am of myself, and how much I have overcome since then. I want to dive deep into everything I experienced, and how I managed to count my blessings through it all, even through the clash with myself.

Every thought was a battle, every breath was a war and I didn't think I was winning anymore.

If you stood in front of me three years ago and asked me where I would be now, I wouldn't have an answer for you at all. I couldn't see the sunshine or the light of day. Everyday was a storm. I struggled to get out of bed. I struggled to interact with my friends and family. I struggled with being present in school, and I struggled with focusing on my personal mental health.

I was at a point in my life where being non-existent was the best option I could think of. While I was lucky to have been surrounded by such great people, I only ever saw the unfairness in the situation, and was completely bitter and selfish.

Now looking back, I was suicidal, and was a frequent caller on hotlines each and every night. While I admitted to my family and myself I was completely OK, and didn't need any help, I knew deep down I was drowning in my pain and needed help.

I took about three or four months off of school, and I got help in an outpatient facility, where I would go through diverse therapies, and meet with a psychologist and a psychiatrist every day. I believe I was on maybe two different medications, that I could eventually wean myself off of. I haven't endured many hardships in my life, but this was by far the hardest one I actually endured.

It wasn't easy, I got into a routine of being depressed that it was hard to be happy at that point in my life.

While that isn't all the complete details, I know it's harder said than done. I came out of that with a complete new mindset, and learning how to happily cope, and not let myself fall into that hole I was in prior. I will never not be thankful for all the support and help from those people I had encounters with that helped me out of it.

So, I'm telling you, life will always have parts where the rain seems to last forever, but there will be that day when the sun will start shining again, and you will feel like a completely different person.

I am completely and utterly beyond blessed to have every opportunity I have been given. My senior year in high school, I was accepted into college in my dream location. My dream location was 1,300 miles away from home, where I have lived with my family for the past seventeen years. I officially graduated high school, and moved to Florida the July after graduation. Moving away from my hometown gave me such a sense of independence and a fresh start.

I got myself a job that I do love, and the money aspect of it is great. I am reconnecting with my family that moved down South when I was a kid. I have been doing absolutely amazing with balancing work and college classes at the same time. I got so much into traveling, and severely enjoy seeing different states and cities the world has to offer.

Lastly, I got accepted into my dream internship working for Walt Disney World in Orlando. I am overly excited to meet so many people from all over the world, and make magic every single day for every guest that walks into the parks or resorts. I will officially be moving to Disney World in August of 2020!

I created a future for myself, even when it seemed impossible.

I am enthusiastic to see whatever else comes my way. I'm grateful to be given this life, so therefore I will now make the absolute most of it. Life has a way of sending curve balls, but you will never be given something you can't handle.

If you are struggling, don't be silent about it. Be patient with it, things will graciously get better. At the end of the day you will be thankful you chose life.

I am a firm believer in the quote "sometimes the bad things that happen in our lives, puts us directly on the path to the best things will happen to us". Bad things do happen, but it makes us strong, blessed and grateful.

Keep your faith, amazing things are coming your way.